Any Good Reason For Keeping Chimney On Detached House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It just occured to me that I could remove the whole chimney top to bottom on my detached house

Its a bit late because all the rooms have been decorated and I know its a messy job

But I wanted to ask why any detached house would hold on to chimneys these days when there is central heating?

Do people like seeing chimneys on a house? I have read a lot of people using gallow brackets to support a chimney in a loft in a detached house but I do not understand the rational for this

Can anyone explain the benefit of having a chimney?

Sponsored Links

To have a fire under it.

My own house, im very happy that the previous owner removed the secondary chimney, from top to bottom, and reroofed over without it.
However im also very happy that I have the main chimney, and intend, if it looks like I will be doing another winter or two there, to open it out and have an open fire.

I like them, makes me feel nice, gives some direct heat, something to look at, happy days.

Daniel

To have a fire under it.

My own house, im very happy that the previous owner removed the secondary chimney, from top to bottom, and reroofed over without it.
However im also very happy that I have the main chimney, and intend, if it looks like I will be doing another winter or two there, to open it out and have an open fire.

I like them, makes me feel nice, gives some direct heat, something to look at, happy days.

Daniel

In our case the fireplace was bricked up and the chimney stack is taking space that we can use

If you researched your question on here you would find that there are many reasons and preferences for keeping chimneys, chimney breasts and chimney stacks.

Sponsored Links
In our case the fireplace was bricked up and the chimney stack is taking space that we can use
Bricked up it may be, but unbricking it and putting a fire in it is a day or twos work. Rebuilding the lot is a diffrent proposition all together. Buy hey, its your house, and im proberbly not going to buy iy anyway!

Bricked up it may be, but unbricking it and putting a fire in it is a day or twos work. Rebuilding the lot is a diffrent proposition all together. Buy hey, its your house, and im proberbly not going to buy iy anyway!

we already have a fireplace in the front room - This chimney stack I am talking about is in the back room

Why would you ever want a fire place in the back room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back