Any idea what this is? - corner block at top of wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering redecorating my bathroom and there is a triangular block in the corner of the room. I've been into the loft and I cant see any block work directly above it. In fact it looks like there is lath and plaster on the ceiling directly above it so I am a little unsure whether it is blockwork or not.

I have attached two pictures

Could anyone tell me what it might be? I am planning to strip back the paper and investigate further but thought I would ask on here first in case it was something quite common.

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
most likely something to do with the roof timbers.

Thanks John, Its on the two exterior walls so I thought that might be the case. I'll speak to my neighbour and see if they have the same on their side.

Cheers

Chris

Do you have a hip or valley above? There are two different pics by the way?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ree,

The first picture is the correct way round the second one needs rotating but I wasn't able to do this.

I'm not sure what a hip or valley is. My house is a semi detached the roof slopes from the party wall. I have added a diagram and shown where the block is.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Why noy post pics of the outside?

Sometimes, vents were hidden behind a barrier - to prevent direct drafts. Is there an air brick outside near the party wall?

Morning,

Thanks for all the advice. I've had a quick look externally this morning and there is an airbrick on the wall behind this block.

I assume that this is to provide ventilation to the loft and this block prevents cold air going into the bathroom?

Thanks for your help with this

Chris

that would be unusual. Lofts usually get ventilated from the gap round the eaves.

Older houses (before the days of extractor fans) often had an airbrick to reduce condensation from steamy baths. They get blocked up by people with an aversion to ventilation.

Thanks John that makes more sense actually..

I was having condensation issues and fitted an extractor fan which has solved the problem so I guess this air brick may now be redundant. I'll have a look at the block from the loft when I redecorate and see if its anything to do with the roof timbers. if not ill see if its possible to remove it. I would prefer to have a square room if possible!

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back