any information on how to check noise level's in a flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew what device's are used to check the noise level in a Flat so it conforms to the building regulations and how you can obtain these device's as i am experiencing noise from my neighbours and think it could be due to the building be build poorly any information is welcome!! :D jamie

Sponsored Links
The part of the building regulations that you refer to is Part E - Passage of sound.
Unless the building is very new I suspect you will have difficulty going down that route. Building Control or an Approved Inspector would have signed it off.
If it is old then there is no requirement for it to meet current regulations.

Some more info would be helpful.

There is an iPhone app called Decibel which measures sound levels. If the nieghbours are too loud it's a job for environmental services.

First thing is; was the building completed before or after the 2003 regulations. If before then that's a dead end as there were no minimum sound reduction figures before that date.

If after then the building should have been tested post completion and a compliance certificate should have been submitted to building control. It might be worth asking for a copy of that certificate, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

If you do end up having it tested you can't do it yourself. It can only be done by an approved tester with the correct equipment and software. Average cost for a one-off test is about £800 to £1000.

Sponsored Links
the building was completed in about feb 2004 as that was when we moved in and our flat was the last to be built and we moved in from new when you say about the compliance certificate would have been submitted to building control would that mean to the building department of a social landlord as the flat is a social landlord property? and do i ask for a compliance certificate in relation to document E of the building reg? thanks for all your help to be honest i think this building wasn't properly done as i can here my neighbour turn their light switch on which i wouldn't have thought you should be able to do but the noise is really bad.
thanks alot. jamie.

@jeds

I thought it was the date planning permission was granted that governed the applicable regulations and not completion date for the property ?

@jeds

I thought it was the date planning permission was granted that governed the applicable regulations and not completion date for the property ?

My error, that is correct. (although I think you mean from the time building regs is passed - not planning permission) A property completed in 2004 would have had regs passed a year or two before - possibly more - so measuring sound transmission levels now is not going to help you.

the building was completed in about feb 2004 as that was when we moved in and our flat was the last to be built and we moved in from new when you say about the compliance certificate would have been submitted to building control would that mean to the building department of a social landlord as the flat is a social landlord property? and do i ask for a compliance certificate in relation to document E of the building reg? thanks for all your help to be honest i think this building wasn't properly done as i can here my neighbour turn their light switch on which i wouldn't have thought you should be able to do but the noise is really bad.
thanks alot. jamie.

As I said in my other post Jamie, your property is before the measurement regulation so there will be no certificate. I can't see where you can go with this now. It's a difficult enough claim to bring even with the figures but without them I would say impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back