Any roofers able to advise please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These tiles have been fitted on a friend of mines roof, 10 years ago.
We felt that the condition of these tiles after this amount of time is not right, and are wondering if we should be going back to the manufacturer at all?

Can anyone advice on the condition of these tiles and also if you recogonise a brand, etc as not too sure what tiles they are.

Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it was re-roofed and if it was were new tiles stipulated?
The ridge tiles are not new(10 years old).
Tiles are possibly reclaimed.

Is there felt underneath?

Bad batch.

Those ridge were fooked the moment they left the kiln and should have been set aside for land-fill. Nothing to do with age.

Good luck with recompense from the people that made them.

It was a new build house, and as it is in a conservation area we were told to use this tiles, which were new. But unfortunately we can not remember the name of the company. Nor can the builder!!
Not sure if there is felt underneath - does it make any different?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Newish felt and battens can be seen in pic 1. lower down the roof slope.

OP, stop whoever is working on the roof and get someone who is going to be less destructive to take over. Plain tiles are fragile (& expensive), roof ladders must be used and all debris carefully taken down in buckets. What the pics show is no way to do any kind of roof work.

Why have the ridge tiles been removed from the intersecting ridge, when you have no replacements at hand.

Capped, or lipped, half round ridge tiles such as yours, or similar, will be available from a reclaimer's yard. Turn the old tile over and look for a name imprinted on the reverse side.

AAMOI: the lead flashing at the stack is incorrect but if its sound then leave it alone.

I have only seen ridge tiles in that condition when they were at least 80yrs old.

Not everyday you see ridges older than the pyramids with new lath and breathable underneath.

The ridge tiles have deteriorated en masse. I have seen 100 year old ridge in immaculate condition. Age has nothing to do with these tiles. Bad batch - end of.

I thought you meant it had been re roofed 10 years ago hence my reclaimed comment.
Noseall is on the money imho.

terrypin,
i think that your original comment was right - i'd guess that the roof was installed with reclaimed materials. 10yrs ago according to the OP, which would fit the appearance of the semi new felt and battens in pic 1.

In 35 years as a roofer I have never seen ten year old ridge tiles like that
Very popular on slate roofs in the 40's/50s and did tend to shale quite badly but that was after 40+ years of being weather beaten.

we have turned the tile over and there is no marking :cry:
So does this mean we were screwed from the start? :mad:

No, do as advised above with the info given above.

What exactly is being done to the roofs in the pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back