any suggestions lost me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
its a worcester 24i combi gas boiler HW works fine but CH playing up can run HW all the time no problem but when switch CH on it comes on fine but after approx 20 mins it just goes off completely including HW if you then leave it for about 30 mins and run HW tap it works fine but no CH the CH is on an click out auto timer at 15 min intervals if you set that to come on and go off 30mins later and do that at 1 hr intervals right throughout the day and night it will come on and off and back on again no problem its like its overheating and just needs time to cool down someone suggested it might be the thermocouple and someone suggested it could be th pcb not sure myself can anyone help its giving me an headache lol :mad:

Sponsored Links
Why dont you just throw the combi out and fit a conventional boiler and storage cylinder.
These forums are littered with the problems that combinations boilers are nortorious for.
Not to mention paying expensive engineers to fix them.
My trusty oil boiler has not been serviced since I purchased it 7 years ago and its still going strong.

It's obviously an overheat fault. The dhw doesn't employ the pump.

So,

system could be sludged up

pump could be faulty/sludged up

CH sensor could be faulty

Maximum gas rate could be set wrongly

OH sensor will probably also want changing.

Whats the annual average cost of servicing a combination boiler and fixing their many faults.
Must run into thousands.
The UK would be better off if all the natural gas had been supplied to power stations instead of spending billions on natural gas supplies to every household . They could have built smaller local power stations with the billions saved on the domestic natural gas distribution network and people could have heated their homes with cheap electric heaters using cheap electricity.
When a gas shortage comes , the domestic supply is going to be switched off any way and at some time in the future it may be turned off permanetly making the gas grid useless.
What a waste. If only we had leaders with foresight.

Sponsored Links
It would also have given cheaper energy prices to people outside the gas grid and have left them less at the mercy of the oil suppliers.

Sider said:
Whats the annual average cost of servicing a combination boiler and fixing their many faults.
Must run into thousands.
The UK would be better off if all the natural gas had been supplied to power stations instead of spending billions on natural gas supplies to every household.
(snipped)
If only we had leaders with foresight.

Oh how I agree, modern gas turbine generator sets are so efficient that local generation is likely to be very very much more econonical, far less transmission losses and local hot water schemes could have been installed instead of gas piping.

If the leaders had foresight they would be wanted for real jobs.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Sider said:
Must run into thousands.
The UK would be better off if all the natural gas had been supplied to power stations instead of spending billions on natural gas supplies to every household . They could have built smaller local power stations with the billions saved on the domestic natural gas distribution network and people could have heated their homes with cheap electric heaters using cheap electricity.
When a gas shortage comes , the domestic supply is going to be switched off any way and at some time in the future it may be turned off permanetly making the gas grid useless.

i hardly think a combi costs thousands to run every year. my last one certainly didnt. people who insist on keeping their old 80's boiler with no energy saving controls and permanent pilots are wasting gas, and people who are heating an entire cylinder full of hot water each and every day to only wash the dishes and have one bath are the ones partly responsible for the inevitable forthcoming shortage of gas.

in my opinion you get what you pay for. buy a cheapo b+q combi and you will always have trouble. buy a qaulity appliance and you will have less trouble.

if you dont get it serviced properly it will also be more likely to be faulty on a more regular basis.

get a good one and keep it serviced and you will save yourself money and possibly help the environment.

what we also need are more housing schemes where they have a central boiler to provide for a number of houses or streets at a time. there are a few such schemes around here and ive heard they have been a great success

Sider said:
Must run into thousands.

Whats that got to do with a fault on a worcester 24i :rolleyes:

Leaders with foresight...........about as much chance as a Jewish leader with a foreskin:cool:thankyou auto censor :rolleyes:

scatmanjohn said:
Sider said:
Must run into thousands.

Whats that got to do with a fault on a worcester 24i :rolleyes:

I quiet agree!! Shut up blabing on about your own crap and answer the question for the original posting.
Do you know how to use a forum or are you hugging trees all day :mad:

pannierstan wrote.

I quiet agree!! Shut up blabing on about your own rubbish and answer the question for the original posting.
Do you know how to use a forum or are you hugging trees all day

Wht dont you answer the question for the original poster and shut up blabbing.
The post was already 2 days old and dead in the water when I brought it to life.

ROB28 said:
its a worcester 24i combi gas boiler HW works fine but CH playing up can run HW all the time no problem but when switch CH on it comes on fine but after approx 20 mins it just goes off completely including HW if you then leave it for about 30 mins and run HW tap it works fine but no CH the CH is on an click out auto timer at 15 min intervals if you set that to come on and go off 30mins later and do that at 1 hr intervals right throughout the day and night it will come on and off and back on again no problem its like its overheating and just needs time to cool down someone suggested it might be the thermocouple and someone suggested it could be th pcb not sure myself can anyone help its giving me an headache lol :mad:

Sounds like the time delay for the Central heating is up the spout on the board.

I have had this fault on this boiler before and a new PCB solved the problem

Stan

pannierstan wrote

Sounds like the time delay for the Central heating is up the spout on the board.

I have had this fault on this boiler before and a new PCB solved the problem

Stan

Your just showing off now. Why didnt you post this 2 days ago. Rob probably has his answer from another forum anyway.

Look ROB28 Ive got the answer you were looking for.
Hope you get your boiler operating successfully.
:D

no sider i havent and thank u for all your smart arse comments that didnt answer my origanal question and cheers pannierstan for your reply will check it out and get it sorted

no sider i havent and thank u for all your smart a**e comments that didnt answer my origanal question

I didnt know the answer to your original question and if I did I would have posted it, so I just popped what came to mind and brought your 2 day old post back to the top of the forum for all to see , you ungrateful pratt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back