Anyone help with what router bit I need to cut a groove please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a back to wall mini greenhouse out of timber. The 'glazing' will be 4mm twin wall polycarbonate panels.

I want to recess these panels into the timber framing. Either by rebating one of the timber edges so that the PC panel can be recessed in and secured by some screws, or by cutting a groove in the centre of the timber so that the PC panel can be slotted in before securing the framing together.

I have never used a router before and will need to buy one.

Can anyone help with what bits I would need to buy to achieve the above?

The timber framing will be 38x63mm CLS. Sometimes it will be oriented on the short edge, sometimes on the long edge.

The panels are 4mm thick twin wall polycarbonate.

Sponsored Links
That could be tricky to achieve for a first timer, perfectly straight grooves on slightly warped timber will make a good fit difficult. Use @ straight bit, or use timber strips nailed and set back from the lip to act as stop. Easier to dry fit.

What tools do you have access to, presently?
A Router, especially if you are not used to using one is not the best tool. You have think about sealing the glazing in the slot as well putting the frame together.

In My opinion a much better way is to cut a rebate (on a tablesaw or with a tracksaw) then using the trimmed off material as beading to retain the glazing. You seal the glazing in place and tack the beading down.

I was planning to use beading but it got too expensive to buy it, as I would have needed quite alot to bead around all of the panels on all sides of the construction. I dont have any tools that I can rip lengths of my own wood with.

Ive now ordered a palm router and a 5mm straight bit. The PC panels are a little flexible so Im hoping I can cut a groove and make it work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back