Failing putty (new shed window) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sealed sheets of toughened glass from the outside on my potting shed by placing the glass in the recess and pressing in the putty from the outside so it gets into the gaps being so called water tight. However, after a few days of being water tight it has started to let in water as you can see which should be impossible being oil based. This proves that the putty is failing/shrinking. I could cry because this took me hours to apply by hand for absolutely nothing. I could tear out the very bottom putty and perhaps get another brand but again, this should be water tight. I was going to sand down the uneven edges of the putty when dry as I don't have a putty knife but hardly worth it now.
342071244_768584381329466_1946443496119924701_n.jpg
IMG_20230423_090619.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the water is coming from the outside? Looks to be lots of condensation on the inside, to be expected with single glazing.

You perhaps needed to use a putty knife and get a larger fillet of putty on the outside.

On the last bit of glazing I did (single) I used glazing mastic instead of putty, seemed to work better for me.

Yes positive as I tested with the hose from the outside and watched it fill the other side. There is no condensation on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Should use hybrid polymer sealant. But this should not be used as the primary fixing for glass. The glass should be secured mechanically.

DIY windows seldom work especially with bits of rough 1x1 etc pinned to a rough timber frame, how are the frame timbers sealed together?

Should use hybrid polymer sealant. But this should not be used as the primary fixing for glass. The glass should be secured mechanically.

MS polymers can be used instead of putty. As with putty, you just need to use panel pins/etc to secure the glass.

A putty knife can be made out of a flattened end of a bit of 15mm copper pipe (y)

Well I have re-sealed with newer putty and already after this rain it is failing. What I don't understand is it has linseed oil in it which is water tight and yet it gets through. I have pressed it into the end of the glass hard where the tiny gap is and yet it gets through. :mad:

Its a nightmare. Now the rain has come and it's getting in higher up at the side and cascading down because the putty has cracked. This brand is garbage. Will painting over it seal it ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_113602.jpg
    IMG_20230620_113602.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 71
looks like you did not putty the frame before glazing. the glass needed putty on the inside to bed in, then fixing with glazing sprigs before the outside is putty'd up.

Are you putting full bead of putty on the inside, as it looks like there is isn't much.
No disrespect, but your tooling of the putty is not very good, leave and gaps and the water will pour in.

After using the glazing sealant mentioned above, (thanks Old Salt) I wouldn't go back to putty, perhaps sealant with some beads may serve you better.

I agree with you, the puttying is bad but I just found it hard to manipulate without the proper tool. I think I will dig it all out and use the sealant above from the outside. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back