Failing putty (new shed window) (Ed.)

Haven’t you done this yet!
Remove the glass, clean up, use the product I have already recommended on both sieds of the glass, replace beading.
Job done.

Yeah you could save a couple of quid but how much did your shed cost?
Worth saving a couple of quid?

I have two Tiger sheds, both with windows sealed using this product, and they have been up for 5 years with no leaks.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like the glass is held down by anything. It is surrounded by the square beads for positioning. If the mating between the bead and shed is not sealed, that could let water in. Show a pic of the leaking location from the side.

Last edited:
The water is definitely not getting in under the felt, unless of course rain is so hard driving it splashes up but it has never leaked and I have never seen water running down from the top of the window. All the water that has leaked has done so at the bottom (of the edge where the putty has shrunk). I will just dig the putty out on a hot dry day and go over the top with sealant and live with it.

Well, some months on and the putty looks horrible. There has been a lot of wet weather in Cheshire so it seems the putty at the bottom of the window is trapping moisture behind the glass that has dissipated down into the wood which is actually starting to rot! I'm absolutely gutted as I didn't think this was apparent until I pressed it with my finger and it was spongy. I won't tackle this until drier weather in Spring but suffice to say I shall take out all the putty at the bottom (already done the corners in the hope that it will drain) and try and treat the wood before painting again. Now I wish I had used taks as I did with the old perspex as the water drained and no wood was rotten.

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_163720.jpg
    IMG_20240223_163720.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240223_163732.jpg
    IMG_20240223_163732.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240223_163747.jpg
    IMG_20240223_163747.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Ok, so it seems that nobody can help with this. Again, why would a single isolated bead of water appear with no apparent evidence of it's journey ? I just give up with it. The thought of digging all that horrible stuff out again depresses me.

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_172115.jpg
    IMG_20240227_172115.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 24
You have been given sound advice, but seem to have ignored that advice.

Again, if water is running down the interior of the glass, it has absolutely nothing to do with water ingress lower down the glass.

I, like many other people, devote time to trying to help other forum members.

"We" as a community spend time trying to help people.

Sometimes we need to walk away, and that is what I am doing now, I hope you find a resolution.

I don't wish to be needlessly rude, but it is clear that you (and presumably Tigersheds) don't know how to glaze a window with putty.

No shame in that. There may be things I can't do.

I was taught when a youngster, but it is no longer common. I suppose there are youtube vids.

I think you will find it easier to use glazing tape, and a quadrant bead on the outside. Clean off the putty and paint the rebate first.

Why insist
why would a single isolated bead of water appear with no apparent evidence of it's journey ?
It's quite a mystery. I do some cooking and water droplets form on the window glass. I have no idea how the water went from my pot to the window. I suspect conspiracy. Luckily my glass is sealed. So the water could not get to the hard to reach areas.

Well, I have removed the still not set putty from the bottom of the window to let any trapped moisture drain (gravity) and yet the water retention is now worse than ever. When the old pvc windows were just sat in the frame heald with small nails, there was no water ingress at all. I may remove the small (and now rotting) wooden battens holding the glass and replace with something more free draining.

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_100913.jpg
    IMG_20240301_100913.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 22
Well, whilst you have removed the putty from the outside of the glass it is still sitting on a bead of putty. That is what is causing the water to collect behind the glass.

When putting in glazing you have to apply a bead of Putty into the rebate first, importantly, the bead should be pressed against the inside edge of the aperture and the glass pressed into that. The extruded putty in the inside is then cut away by sliding the knife or chisel along the face of the glass. I

Small nails or glazing sprigs hold the glass in place the bead of putty that goes over the top is to look good.

Well, I think what I'll do is just try and get out the residue that holds the water and replace with new wood ledges and keep open to allow water run off (as it did with the pcv glass)

Well after removing the putty to give the water a bottom drain, and a few dry windy days for the water to disappear I am astonished to find water is just as bad. So basically this water likes to travel upwards and defy the laws of physics.

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_105141.jpg
    IMG_20240310_105141.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 12
Its even worse than I thought because of this never ending wet period that drags on and on. I can't believe how quickly this wood has rotted. I shall have to paint it with Ronseal rot wood hardener and fill it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_100655.jpg
    IMG_20240403_100655.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back