acrylic putty and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Victorian house with original large bay window.
We had new single glazed windows with curved tops fitted to the bay 6 weeks ago and acrylic putty was used. It's set hard on the outside but won't set on the inside because of condensation every night in the cold weather. It's like a mixture of porridge and chewing gum. I've now scraped it all out along the bottom leaving a channel half and inch deep and and three eighths wide. This would probably fill with water every night and I've just put masking tape over it for the time being. I want to put linseed oil putty in there but I'm afraid of sealing moisture inside.
So do you have any ideas on how to dry it out or maybe at least protect it till next summer? I don't want to use a heat gun in case it cracks the glass. (Because of the delicate curved shape, normal double glazing is not an option - I will be adding magnetic secondary glazing in acrylic sheets.)
Thank you
Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back