Paint under acrylic putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Traditional wisdom appears to be (very reasonably) that whilst one should prime wooden window rebates under linseed oil putty, one should not put on any oil-based (e.g. gloss) paint, since that will prevent the putty drying/hardening properly.

However, what about the situation when one is using acrylic putty (which appears to be happy to dry/set even on impervious materials such as metal)? Intuition/common sense, seems to suggest that gloss paint would 'do not harm', and would probably give additional protection to the wood in the event of any water ingress behind/under the putty. Is that a reasonable view, and is it often done (obviously slows down the glazing process)?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
We routinely spray window sashes with base and top coat before glazing.

Although that is water based satin.

I would say the rebates should be fully painted before puttying. My only reservation would be whether adhesion is reduced on a gloss finish.

We use repaircare dryseal. We use it for glazing slimlite double glazing. Its tricky to get a clean bead and can be messy.

We routinely spray window sashes with base and top coat before glazing. Although that is water based satin. I would say the rebates should be fully painted before puttying.
Thanks. That makes sense with synthetic 'puttys' (like acrylic), and corresponds with my thinking. However, do you agree with the traditional view that one should not put an impervious paint under linseed oil putty?
My only reservation would be whether adhesion is reduced on a gloss finish.
It doesn't have to be gloss (I really just mentioned that as an example) - as you say, satin might be 'safer'. However, if (as is claimed) adhesion of synthetic 'putty' etc. to metal is satisfactory, I imagine that it would probably be OK with gloss paint.
We use repaircare dryseal.
That's silicone-based, isn't it? I have usually used Evo-Stik "Glazier's Putty" (which I thought, maybe incorrectly, was acrylic) - do you have any views on that?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back