Linseed Putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've applied Linseed putty around my old house original stained glass timber window after a refurb you could say! The window has black lead on the glass which I'm going to paint but I'm confused when I can paint the putty around the glazing.

I brought NoNonse Putty from Screwfix, it's a Linseed Putty and says on the back paintable "usually" within 7 days, now I thought Linseed putty takes weeks to harden before you can paint, even months, if I look at the Q&A's on screwfix website they say paintable after 5 or 6 days.

Does anyone know the approx dry time....experiences? maybe Screwfix make a slightly different putty format than traditional Linseed Putty, it's been 3 days and it's still soft!

Sponsored Links
canoas, good evening.

OK that is what the seller states, but? as I recall Putty can take anything from one week to three weeks to harden, Putty will form a "skin" then continue to dry out slowly

I know that you can very, very carefully with a soft paint brush apply a paint finish but? the putty "Skin" tends to wrinkle.

Suggest you leave alone for about two weeks?

As an aside, keep an eye on the birds, they seem to like linseed oil?

Ken.

Thanks Ken, I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens to my putty over the next 2 weeks. Window is in the garage away from birds! I have boarded up window gap with plywood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back