Anyone recognise these monsters!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

These have grown out of our patio in a matter of a couple of months - does anyone recognise them - they're about 6ft+ tall now!

1.jpg

2.jpg

The trunk (?) is like bamboo.

Ta!

Simon

Sponsored Links
weeds.

dont tell me the stem is also hollow, i dont know what they are but we have had them, good dose of weed killer and they are no more

I've seen these before, I don't know what they are (sorry :oops: ) but it's definitley not a bamboo. If it was I'd come round and dig them out for you ;) .

Sponsored Links
If nstreet is right (which he usually is), be prepared for a war, this is virtually un-stoppable stuff.

simonpearce said:
Can I just just get a gardener out of the Yellow pages?

Simon

no, you have to phone them first

but seriously, yes of course, but like all things get several quotes

there are companies which specialize in the removal of this stuff. Its so bad its illegal to allow the stuff to get into the wild. A normal gardener will struggle to get rid of the stuff if youve got loads, if its only just appeared you may be able to fight it with very very strong concentrations of glyphosate

Thanks Thermo

After speaking with neighbours, they come each year :(

I'll get on to the council on Monday and see if they can recommend anyone.

Cheers all

Simon

We just bought a house that has Japanese knotweed at the bottom of the garden... fairly well established. We have dug down to remove most of the tubers (some being about 10cm diameter) which spread a long way underground (its how the reproduce as there are no females of the species in the UK thank god).

Dig it up and then what is left leave to grow and then nuke with glycophosphate (i.e. roundup) when the leaves are well established. It should take a couple of applications and even then is likely to re-occur in later years.

Do not dig it up, bag it and then take it to the dump... that is illegal as it will spread there like wildfire!

Good luck!

jingles said:
. . .nuke with glycophosphate (i.e. roundup) when the leaves are well established.

Hi Jingles - how do you do this? Do you spray the leaves? Spray the roots? Pour gallons of roundup around the roots?!

Cheers

Simon

PS The council were nice to talk to but basically said "You're screwed"!)

You have to spray it on the foliage as it is absorbed through the leaves. Putting it on the ground is virtually useless. You can get very scientific with it if you like (as I did, as I was out for revenge!) and actually inject the liquid into the hollow stems so that it drains down to the tuber they are growing from and really gets to work :LOL:

You cannot just dispose of this at the council tip.

If you are old enough (I am) to remember the 'Trifids', then this is the son of.

jingles said:
You have to spray it on the foliage as it is absorbed through the leaves. Putting it on the ground is virtually useless. You can get very scientific with it if you like (as I did, as I was out for revenge!) and actually inject the liquid into the hollow stems so that it drains down to the tuber they are growing from and really gets to work :LOL:

As the stems are like bamboo - could you cut them about a foot above the ground and literally pour the roundup into the stems? Would this do anything?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back