Anything obvious?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother just moved into a new place had a look at the electrics all seem quite new, just wondering if anything looks glaring wrong/dangerous especially the earthing block is this usual?? What type of earthing arrangement is this?

The tails are 25mm and a newish split load board. Advised him to get a PIR done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It LOOKS ok.

The blue and brown tails between meter and head might be single insulated, which is not perfect, but its not your responsibility here. Your responsibility starts at the grey cables from the meter.

The earth is TNS - provided by the supplier on the sheath of their cable.

Open the CU and show us that. We can tell you even more then!! ;)

You only have RCD protection for the three circuits on the LHS of the CU. This was probably fine when it was installed, but would be flagged up in a PIR, and might need changed if any other work is done.

Colin C

thanks for the replies found a date sticker on the CU of Apr 2007 so must have been installed about then. Opened up the CU looks a bit/lot messy in there!! :eek:
The large grey T&E 10mm fed from the 40a mcb is the supply to the garage it transfers to a box before going outside and then fun in 10mm SWA. Looks like the 2nd 32a mcb has 3 2.5 t&e from it as wellwill investigate this further!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The blue and brown tails are quite likely double insulated - when Siemens (on behalf of British Gas) installed an isolator for me the tails they used between meter and isolator were double insulated, but had blue and brown outer sheaths...

Is there RCD protection in the garage CU for the sockets in there? If not, move the 40A MCB to the RCD side of the house CU

The blue and brown tails are quite likely double insulated - when Siemens (on behalf of British Gas) installed an isolator for me the tails they used between meter and isolator were double insulated, but had blue and brown outer sheaths...

As with the older red & black tails. Double-insulated but with the outer sheath the same color red or black as the inner insulation used to be common before gray sheaths gradually became the norm.

I take it the Equi Bonding G/Y Cable is run unbroken to the Gas & Water services (if there is Gas installed) There`s only 1 Cable @ the MET , also it looks the same size as the G/Y Cable running from the MET , so I presume it`s 16mm to the Gas & Water ?

Or only 10mm running into the Dis Board ?

Lucky

It might be a personal preference but I don't like to see both the top and bottom of one way in the MET (Main Earthing Terminal) used, I prefer to strip the wire back and tighten each conductor under two screws.
The MET should also really have a "SAFETY ELECTRICAL CONNECTION, DO NOT REMOVE" label adjacent to it.

It might be a personal preference but I don't like to see both the top and bottom of one way in the MET (Main Earthing Terminal) used, I prefer to strip the wire back and tighten each conductor under two screws.

Unless they stripped the cable right back, threaded it through the MET and sleeved it from there to the clamp on the incoming supply. Hard to tell from the photo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back