APHC / Notifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know who is actually responsible for notifications and the actual sending out of certificates to the home owner following a complete new gas CH installation? Is it gas safe, APHC, local council or the installer? Also what certificates are you supposed to actually get?

I had a new CH installation done just under a year ago. Upon commissioning, the installer who is gas safe registered and an APHC member, left me with the completed benchmark manual but, that was it.

A friend who has had a new boiler installed mentioned that he had received a couple of certificates and when I chased this with Gas Safe, I was passed onto APHC and eventually got 2 certificates. I have now got my benchmark manual, a building regulation compliance certificate and a competent person certificate. Is that all of the certificates or should I have any more?

All seems very strange to me especially since I have now spoken to 2 other local people who have also had notifiable work done by APHC members within the last 12 months and none of whom have received any certificates :eek: Makes me wonder if these certificates are only sent out on request?

Sponsored Links
Notification is effectively being phased out as it was a completely pointless exercise designed by the previous government.
It is now one of the many rules that are technically still there, but nobody is interested.

Notification is definitely NOT being phased out!!

When an installer makes a notification through Gas Safe Register, Gas Safe Register will issue the certificates and inform your Local Authority Building Control.

If your installer uses APHC for their notifications, the notification still goes through Gas Safe Register, as it is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT and will continue to be so (bengasman take note!). Gas Safe Register then notify your Local Authority Building Control, but your certificate will come from APHC.

An installer using the APHC notification system can choose to have the certificate sent to them via email or post, rather than to their customer, which might explain why you never got it - if your installer failed to pass it on to you.

That is the first time I have heard that APHC still use Gas Safe to notify BC.

What about CORGI if they still do notifications?

Where do you get that information from?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I dont see anything on that APHC page which indicates they notify BC through Gas Safe.

Where do you get that information?

Tony

I make my notifications through APHC. I know this is how it works from talking to them.

There is a requirement for installations to be notified to Gas Safe Register. so notifications sent through APHC still go to Gas Safe Register, but it works out slightly cheaper to notify through APHC, providing you're a member.

The certificates I get come from APHC and have both their logo and Gas Safe Register's logo on them.

I phoned them a while back to ask about notifying Building Control and they told me that it's dealt with by Gas Safe Register as per any notification that's done directly with them

..I phoned them a while back to ask about notifying Building Control and they told me that it's dealt with by Gas Safe Register as per any notification that's done directly with them
So you have it only by third party verbal, that the only part that is arguably an obligation, actually gets done.
Bit meager if you ask me.

There is a requirement for installations to be notified to Gas Safe Register. so notifications sent through APHC still go to Gas Safe Register, but it works out slightly cheaper to notify through APHC, providing you're a member.

My recollection is that at the beginning Gas Safe said that they did NOT need to be notified of boiler installations as CORGI had done to the annoyance of so many RGIs.

BUT GS were continuing the procedure where RGIs could notify installations and GS would advise Building Control.

Since Building Control do need to be notified of boiler and unvented installations that means that GS do still receive details of many instyallations.

However, the impression that I get from this forum is that many RGIs are now NOT notifying installations.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back