Appliances in bathrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the position on siting appliances in bathrooms? eg washing machine or D/W or Dryer?

Sponsored Links
Firstly the machine needs to be suitable for the environment, installed in zone 3 or outside the zones, fed from an FCU (no sockets allowed). Also needs to be 30mA RCD protected and the CPC of the circuit included in the supplementary bonding if it is located in zone 3.

Sponsored Links
Under the 17th, you can have a socket outlet as long as it is 3m from the vertical plane of zone 1. (Can anybody just verify that? It's my understanding...)

But every circuit in the room needs RCD protection at 30mA or less.

Can anybody confirm if it is ok under 7671:2008 to have the socket 3m away, but the appliance nearer

If you've got such a big bathroom that your thinking of laundry/food starage appliances, why not build a stud partition and create a utility room, as long as its got a door between it and the bathroom, its my understanding that your safe.

No zones to worry about then :)

Under the 17th, you can have a socket outlet as long as it is 3m from the vertical plane of zone 1. (Can anybody just verify that? It's my understanding...)

But every circuit in the room needs RCD protection at 30mA or less.

Can anybody confirm if it is ok under 7671:2008 to have the socket 3m away, but the appliance nearer
Just worded different
prohibited within a distance of 3met HORIZONTALLY from the boundary of zone 1

The IEE QUIDE to the 17th says
G 2.2

Zone 3 has been removed
Without the zone 3 only general rules apply to the zone 3
Hence, equipment can be installed at the boundary of zone 2

Read into that what you will

Please see note 2.

IMGP2814.jpg

So Rob, using this diagram as reference (I know it does not depict 7671:2008 zones), if you installed the socket in the white area to the right, that would comply (distance-wise, at least).

But what if the appliance was in the yellow or green area on that diagram??

Zones.jpg

At least one reg
installed equipment shall have at least

zone1 and 2 : IPX4

Seems rather ridiculous to me. Does anyone think that cowboys, on hearing that sockets can now be fitted in bathrooms, will take any notice of zones & IP ratings?

I know my names not Rob but the reason the bods choose 3mtrs was to allow for the 2mtr flex on "portable appliances"

So yes, you could site an appliance as per your sketch and I can use my chrome hair dryer in the same place... :eek: :LOL:

--tom said:
What is the position on siting appliances in bathrooms? eg washing machine or D/W or Dryer?

The only problem I foresee is if someone decides to use a 4way lead to power a few appliances/chargers. The 3mtrs could then be reduced to -1mtr :oops:

Think I might wire a 4m flex onto my portable fan heater so I can place it on the side of the bath to stop my shaving mirror steaming up...

idiots with extention leads or appliances with unusually long flexes have always been able to get arround the requirement for no sockets in bathrooms anyway.

TBH this doesn't really change that much except for people with huge bathrooms which they might like to use a corner of for something else that happens to require sockets.

So Rob, using this diagram as reference (I know it does not depict 7671:2008 zones), if you installed the socket in the white area to the right, that would comply (distance-wise, at least).

But what if the appliance was in the yellow or green area on that diagram??

Zones.jpg

Talk about Band Wagons.
That pic of zones is wrong and gets repeated all over the place.
Lavatory hand basin does not alter zoning!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back