Apprentices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I would like some feedback from all the working plumbers, especially those who are self employed.
Could you give me your thoughts on apprentice schemes, do you have an apprentice and are they signed up with a local college or are you training them privately, how do you find the college system.
If you don't have an apprentice then could you give your reasons why? Is it a financial issue or something else.
Any feed back will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Would you mind saying who you are and why you're asking these questions?

Sorry Im a Plumbing and heating lecturer in south wales, and I think its a very valid topic. Employers seem very reluctant at the moment to take apprentices, esspecially those who train through "the proper route" not these 10 week wonder courses.

We used to have young (16-17yr olds) apprentices but we stop taking them on because with the exception of one lad (and he was a top man he was and still is) we found them petulant, lazy and arrogant

That and the fact the training provider didnt seem to know their harris from their elbow when it came to "assessing" on site work. Most of the reps from this one august institution just wanted to tell us about how many of the lads in his "care" he had threatened with violence!!!!!

As I was the one they did most of their at work time with I am glad we have moved on to the Career change older people, they actually WANT to learn

:)

Sponsored Links
I would never in a million years let a surly, arrogant txt spkng teenager work in house belonging to one of my customers.

The customer won't care how or why the flood was caused and won't be interested in the socio-economic reasons for employing apprentices, all they will care about is their ruined ceiling and carpet.

And that would be the end of what little reputation I have left ;)

I would never in a million years let a surly, arrogant txt spkng teenager work in house belonging to one of my customers.

The customer won't care how or why the flood was caused and won't be interested in the socio-economic reasons for employing apprentices, all they will care about is their ruined ceiling and carpet.

And that would be the end of what little reputation I have left ;)

:LOL: you and me both Elite

i have the misfortune of having to work with two third year apprentice's[19/21]
they are all of the above and more,give them something to do and they always reply i can't do that,whilst texting or do i have to wear a hard hat?
as for the tech where they attend absolutely useless for on site accessments,these lads cannot make a bathroom suite up without it leaking or run a straight piece of pipe,no matter how many times you explain or show them they make the same mistakes.god help the plumbing/heating industry in the future when these fools are unleashed on the public.bring back proper apprentiships

I used to have an apprentice via JTL. What a load of cobblers they were.

More interested in the paperwork than how the boy was doing.

He was ok but too bloody clumsy so had to go in the end. I have since realised that a one man band cannot afford the luxury of a boy.

Anyway, I don't know of a training establishment that even teaches boys what is relevant in today's industry, certainly mine wasn't ever taught anything that was newer than was in use 20 years ago :eek:

IMHO most lecturers are those who couldn't crack it on the tools and haven't a clue about modern heating and boilers.

JTL is the same Out fit as we had to deal wif dave

a shower of shyte

:)

Sorry Im a Plumbing and heating lecturer in south wales, and I think its a very valid topic. Employers seem very reluctant at the moment to take apprentices, esspecially those who train through "the proper route" not these 10 week wonder courses.

If you are a lecturer imparting knowledge then I would have thought calling yourself College BOY is NOT going to impart the knowledge that you are a tutor!

I assume that you are a course learned tutor without practical site plumbing experience or you would already have known what you have been told above.

Part of the problem is that colleges select people first if they are unemployed layabouts and last if they have a degree and prior knowledge. Communication skills and customer care is never mentioned!

As you probably never answer questions we ask you then could you just tell me how many times you have told your students to wipe their feet before entering a customers home?

Have you ever thought of teaching basic respect like asking BEFORE using the toilet, sitting down or entering any room?

Tony

absolutely spend more time texting their mates than concentrating on learning Plumbing skills :evil:

If ever took anyone one on it would be a family member or close friend who would know that when i spoke to them in a harsh and abrasive manner it was for there own good and not personall and they would not start crying or sulking etc also would have to work when it suited me, lazy mondays but very hard and long tues/wed /thurs .
And be willing to listen and learn by watching and taking it in quickly and have a good sense of humour and be able to communicate.. Also i swear like a trouper but never in front of the customer as a rule which kids today just don`t realise is a NO NO and F an blind without a second thought

We used to have young (16-17yr olds) apprentices but we stop taking them on because with the exception of one lad (and he was a top man he was and still is) we found them petulant, lazy and arrogant

While I sympathize with Corgiman and all the other pro's who have had bad experiences working with apprentices, I would like to know their answers to some simple questions:

1. How did they gain their experience if not by some form of on the job training combined with college studies?

2. How would they solve the problems of a shortage of skilled plumbers and heating engineers?

3. Where will their replacements come from? Assuming, of course that they are not breeding them :LOL:

3) Bug eyed aliens would probably be more reliable and if they had to come from Mars, would probably turn up on time more :mad: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back