Apprenticeships

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find an apprenticeship in London- i have finished my first year NVQ2 Plumbing and have worked with a number of plumbing companies one man bands but now having a hell of a time trying to find somewhere where i can do my apprenticeship consistently!

I don't know if my age is holding me back- i'm 25,any suggestions please??

Sponsored Links
One of the best run firms is Pimlico Plumbers, you'll have to be good to work with them. They're so good they even have they own maintenance and body shop for their vans, that's commitment.

Thanks- i saw a documentary on TV about them and called them up- they are full!

i am getting fed up, it's not like i don't have the experience - i do, but you can spend a day calling places and they are not interested.

If anyone has any more suggestions these would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Well it's either BG or stuff the apprentice bit. Get a small van and start doing small jobs. Don't do it cheap, you don't have to. What you do have to do is do it properly, so do things you CAN do, and tell someone when it's possibly beyond you. This won't be detrimental, if they don't respect your honesty, you don't want to work for them, (they probably wouldn't pay anyway).

I'm with Oilman. Do bathrooms. People often get their own stuff delivered. It doesn't vary too much once you've covered the varous ways of fitting a shower, etc. May have to do some tiling.
The hard bit will be getting experience on paper on GAS.
Where are you in London?

I would have to, and this is a rare thing, disagree with both oilman and chrisR

Becoming selfemployed takes careful planning and preparation if you dont set yourself up right to start with then you are for ever chasing your tail and will full foul of the taxman et al

I would however agree with chris and oilman that it might be wise to drop applying for apprenticships and get your self a job as a plumber (dont forget with nvq2 you are a plumber basic but qualified and thats a whole lot less than most who are out there working)

I think DYNO PLUMBING are still recruiting plumbers
www.dyno.com

give them a go, the hours are long but the money doesn't seem too bad, I know a couple of the local lads who work for them and they say they are treated OK

let us know how you go

Becoming selfemployed takes careful planning and preparation.......

Don't agree. I didn't plan much, (well I suppose it shows).

.....if you dont set yourself up right to start with then you are for ever chasing your tail ......

Don't agree. No matter what you do, you'll be chasing your tail.........

...and will full foul of the taxman et al

Don't agree. You only have to tell them you have started in business within three months of starting.

There, now what's more agreeable than that?

Oilman, I have a business tip for you. Tell people where you can be contacted and you might get some work.

You learn something every day, I'd never thought of that. I live here
map.gif
.:D

This could be fun

oilman said:
Becoming selfemployed takes careful planning and preparation.......

Don't agree. I didn't plan much, (well I suppose it shows).

I can only base this on my own experience but it took me about two months to get my cis4 card from the revenue, about a month to source and decide on quotes of public liability, about the same time to get a van sorted, even though the first one I brought blew up but thats another story :oops: . plus actually getting some work lined up it took me about three months to get ready.
So I must be slow

.....if you dont set yourself up right to start with then you are for ever chasing your tail ......

Don't agree. No matter what you do, you'll be chasing your tail.........

Agreed but with a some preparation you can minimise it, such as the right stock on your van to keep re visits to a minimum etc

...and will full foul of the taxman et al

Don't agree. You only have to tell them you have started in business within three months of starting.

My meaning here was more in putting your tax liability away each week, ie setting up a decent accounting advice and getting a procedure prior to starting so you don't spend it!!!!!!!!!!

There, now what's more agreeable than that?

Oilman you without doubt one of the most agreeable gents I have had the good fortune to encounter :LOL:

Err, I seem to have started a bit of a cyber brawl here!
Thanks for the tips folks, if you think of anyhing else(apart from going through the yellow pages ) i'm listening!

So you think i can just go ahead and apply for plumbing jobs with my NVQ level 2? Would it be best to come clean and say this is my first job etc?

Would it be best to come clean and say this is my first job etc?

Only if it's a friend, otherwise there's being a little too honest er...but you said you've done jobs with other plumbers...that's enough to start.

Now then corgiman,
Oilman you without doubt one of the most agreeable gents I have had the good fortune to encounter

you can take tongue out of cheek now........

......took me about two months to get my cis4 card........

What's one of those?

.....it took me about three months to get ready.

Took me six, as I said, I didn't plan.

.....as the right stock on your van to keep re visits to a minimum etc...

You can't afford everything right away, and you won't know what type of jobs you will get, so this is a process of gradual accumulation.

My meaning here was more in putting your tax liability away each week, ie setting up a decent accounting advice and getting a procedure prior to starting so you don't spend it!!!!!!!!!!

I became self-employed to avoid all this nonsense, have I dropped off somewhere? :oops:

Firstly mate this is no cyber brawl, the internet had better take two steps back if me and oilman were square up and step "on the cobbles" :cool:

right Round Two (this time its personal ;) )

Now then corgiman,

Oilman you without doubt one of the most agreeable gents I have had the good fortune to encounter

you can take tongue out of cheek now........

(POP) there it goes

......took me about two months to get my cis4 card........

What's one of those?

Construction industry scheme (it replaced the old 714's)

.....it took me about three months to get ready.

Took me six, as I said, I didn't plan.

Nuff said

.....as the right stock on your van to keep re visits to a minimum etc...

You can't afford everything right away, and you won't know what type of jobs you will get, so this is a process of gradual accumulation.

Agreed but I had work for a few companies by then and knew what I really reallly need and it worked out to be about 200

I became self-employed to avoid all this nonsense, have I dropped off somewhere?

I think that personal responsibilty with tax is one of the major pitfalls with being self employed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back