Appropriate power feed for burglar alarm

Sponsored Links
I understand that FCUs have no discrimination on a lighting circuit. I understand that an unswitched FCU cannot provide full isolation by removing the fuse.
That is, as maybe. But that is not what is required by the Intruder Alarm industry.
You will not get your alarm maintained by NACOSS, SSAIB, etc unless the installation complies with BSEN 50131. (look it up, I realise you have no idea what I’m talking about. )

I understand that an unswitched FCU cannot provide full isolation by removing the fuse.

The person servicing / repairing the alarm does not require full isolation any more than you would expect full isolation when changing a lamp bulb,

The requirement is to switch OFF the supply by means of a "switch" that cannot be turned OFF by a simply flick of the finger.

Now DROP IT

Sponsored Links
You will not get your alarm maintained by NACOSS, SSAIB, etc unless the installation complies with BSEN 50131. (look it up, I realise you have no idea what I’m talking about. )
Had a quick Google. The first line says it’s a European standard.

erm, no need to look further. FCUs are neither used nor compliant in Europe.

You will not get your alarm maintained by NACOSS, SSAIB, etc unless the installation complies with BSEN 50131.
Just interested, nothing more, but do you happen to know which part of BS EN 50131 covers this requirement?

{
Part 1 System requirements
Part 2-2 Requirements for passive infrared detectors
Part 2-3 Requirements for microwave detectors
Part 2-4 Requirements for combined passive infrared and microwave detectors
Part 2-5 Requirements for combined passive infrared and ultrasonic detectors
Part 2-6 Requirements for opening contacts (magnetic)
Part 2-7 1) Intrusion detectors - Glass break detectors
Part 3 Control and indicating equipment
Part 4 Warning devices
Part 5-3 Requirements for interconnections equipment using radio frequency techniques
Part 6 Power supplies
Part 7 Application guidelines
Part 8 1) Security fog devices }

Else I'll be up all night trying to find it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back