Are 3 metre wide fence panels too large?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fence saga continues, I'm looking to get the new fence in. Been quoted for concrete posts with drop in panels, which are three metre wide. Just wondering if anyone has three metre wide panels and can let me know if they flex a lot in the wind, or If the concrete posts help alleviate that problem?

My current fence is three metre panels and wooden posts. There is some flex, but honestly think some of that could be down to the wooden posts.

Would love some input and opinions before I proceed with the quote.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ask to see a sample, the frame used might actually make the panel stronger than the standard 6x6. A bigger frame would make the whole thing look more prominent to whoever has the “bad” side, the wider panels would give a more commercial look imo, with the fence posts being further apart.

Blup

If they are quoting concrete posts that allow you to drop the panels in, then high wind will simply blow them "out"

If they are quoting concrete posts that allow you to drop the panels in, then high wind will simply blow them "out"
Ah really? I had thought the gap would be tight enough that it'd take a hell of strong wind to blow the panel out

Sponsored Links
Missing vital info for an informed answer , what type and height is the proposed fence panels?

Missing vital info for an informed answer , what type and height is the proposed fence panels?
Normal six foot high panels, type hasn't come through on the quote yet. Just getting some input on case I want to update the quote before committing to the job.

Normal six foot high panels, type hasn't come through on the quote yet. Just getting some input on case I want to update the quote before committing to the job.

6x6 drop in panels tend to be blown out by the wind, so 9 foot wide ones will be even more susceptible.

Thanks all for the information so far - sounds like my best bet is to not go for drop in panels then, instead opting for a fixed/notched post and panel system?

Thanks all for the information so far - sounds like my best bet is to not go for drop in panels then, instead opting for a fixed/notched post and panel system?
You said solid posts , so not slotted?

Ah crap I did. I meant the kind where there is a groove and the panels slide into the posts

Best avoided..

The panels tend to bow, and easily blow out due to lack of center support. On concrete posts, the edges of the grooves tend to also break away.

Okay, thanks. Seems there's a lot more to fences than I realised.

So final verdict is concrete posts without drop in panels, but with gravel boards?

Honestly I might be overthinking it, it's never super windy, I am just paranoid as my neighbour parks their car the other side of one panel so I'd like to avoid it damaging their car at some potential point!

You can always beef up a panel with a length or two of 4 x 2 or similar, to reduce bending. But wind loads can be surprisingly high.

You can add U brackets around the posts, prevents them moving and adds security as individual panels cannot be lifted out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back