Are all jigsaws as slow as this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Black and Decker jigsaw. It still works in as much as it still goes up and down but I was just wondering what sort of performance difference you get from newer models (if any). I can't help thinking that there's something wrong somewhere - it takes me 30-40 mins to cut out the hole in a worktop for a sink. This seems like it takes forever when you're doing it. Not to mention your hands go numb. Typically it blunts about 3 blades in the process. So what gives? Is it cheap blades (B&Q pro blades) or the jigsaw? If it's the blades, can anyone recommend any decent ones. If it's the jigsaw, can anyone recommend a good one?
Thanks,
Gcol

Sponsored Links
Probably both mate. Newer jigsaw have an 'orbital' action which pushes the blade backward and forwards as well as up and down. Fantastic if you want fast cutting, or you can vary of eliminate it for accuracy.
Are you still using the clamp in type blades? Many jigsaws now have toolless blade changing, with a bayonet end, blades are better quality than BnQ, although you will have to pay a bit extra.

as hitachimad says [although its more usualy referd to as "pendulum action" ;) ]
also you need sharpend blades as in bosch 101b or 101d rather than stamped blades like 111c
you can also use down cut blades but if its for a cut out normal blades will do

a good blade will only cut a meter or so in worktop before the edge goes

Sponsored Links
I have a makita with pendulum action, although it's quite old now. I have found that with this and other jigsaws if you try to cut too tight a curve the end of the blade will wander outwards so that the cut edge is not at 90 degrees to the face. There's a name for this - I'm sure someone will know it.
However, I recently had a go on a Festo at a tools demo and this was the first saw I've seen where the blade doesn't wander in this way. It had some blocks to guide the blade similar to those found on a bandsaw. Very pricey though.

i call wander when the blade underneath dosnt follow the expected line on top

you get "undercutting" when you go round a corner because the blade is pushed forward beyond the verticle by a few mm with the associated removal of exta material underneath hense the term undercutting
you get the same problem when cutting two lines that meet at right angles they meet exactly on the surface but underneath cross over

simple solution turn off the pendulum before you go round a corner or a couple off mm before you meet at a corner will be slower cutting though

Just an update. I got that Makita jigsaw and used it for the first time on Tuesday to cut a sink hole in a kitchen worksurface. What a difference! Literally like a knife through butter. Very smooth with no vibration.
I'm a very happy bunny.
Cheers,
Gcol

Takes me hours to do mine.......can`t work out where the pieces go :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back