Are copper push fit connectors any good?

Should I go back to the pipes and fit sleeves tobe on the safe side?
Are those connections on heating, or tank fed supplies, or pump fed supplies, or mains fed supplies?

The cold is mains fed, the hot is from a sealed combi boiler.

Is it just a case of pushing sleeves inside the plastic pipes & refitting the push fit connectors?
No, because the grab ring/wedge would then be too far from the end of the pipe. With Hep2o this is a minor problem, but with Polypipe fittings the steel ring is a royal pain in the ar*e to move without destroying it and/or scoring the pipe.

I could probably lose an inch on the pipes & slide the grab ring off from the oher side. I didn't realise that you can simply push the connectors back on over the sleeves though?

...I had visions of having to push fit copper pipes to the plastic ones & then using compression joints to join the chrome pipes to the copper ones, which would be a messy install for all pipes.
Yes, it would be.

You can use brass compression fittings on plastic pipe, but using the sleeves is [even more] imperative, and don't murder them when tightening up.

I'll be extra carefull when I tighten them up so as not to crush the plastic.
Is it worth using plastic comression couplers to be extra safe. I have these in the form of a tap feeding my shower, but could probably track down some plastic compression couplers if they are any better?

Sponsored Links
In that case I would be concerned at the lack of sleeves.

I could probably lose an inch on the pipes & slide the grab ring off from the oher side.
Good plan.

I didn't realise that you can simply push the connectors back on over the sleeves though?
I can understand you thinking that, I think. However, the sleeve has a secondary role, which is to prevent the cut end of the pipe from damaging the O ring, so it's designed to be in place before you insert the pipe.

I'll be extra carefull when I tighten them up so as not to crush the plastic.
Is it worth using plastic comression couplers to be extra safe. I have these in the form of a tap feeding my shower, but could probably track down some plastic compression couplers if they are any better?
Sorry - I don't know what you're referring to when you say "plastic compression coupler" - could you elaborate/restate?

BTW, the clarity of your posts and your thinking is admirable.

In that case I would be concerned at the lack of sleeves.

I could probably lose an inch on the pipes & slide the grab ring off from the oher side.
Good plan.

Does it matter which material the sleeves are made from, i.e. plastic or copper?

Sorry - I don't know what you're referring to when you say "plastic compression coupler" - could you elaborate/restate?

I've inserted a photo below of the one under my shower. It's a plastic tap on a plastic compression coupler style adaptor. I would imagine that the taps mechanism is metal, but it has plastic olives with plastic threads, nuts etc. It was there from when I bought the house and is connected to a painted copper pipe at the moment, but I changed the top pipe to chrome when I fitted a new shower when the old one packed up earlier this year.

tap.JPG

BTW, the clarity of your posts and your thinking is admirable.
Thanks.
This could be my 2nd vocation should my current career lead me to a dead end :) I'm not sure I would want to qualify for gas fitting untill fully confident though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back