Are extending Rad. Valve Tails Prone To Leaks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted lots of sliding/extending rad. tails over the years with no problems. Usually saves a lot of time when replacing imperial sized rads with their closest size metric ones.

Recently I have seen a couple of posts on here that suggest that these fittings are likely to leak. I don't like to think that there are loads of rads around the Bristol area that could spill their contents at any time.

Has anyone else had an 'experiences with these fittings?

Sponsored Links
I've about 3 leak in the past. Usually straight after fitting.

They all had a hairline crack in them, so I just put it down to me having over tightened them.

if your on about the telescopic ones then yes they can leak. Especially after missus gives it a clout with the hoover, or Mr takes the rad off to decorate.

I had some (sliding type) on a towel rail - tiled floor - for years. So I satrted looking and noticed most other people's do the same. Every now and again they produced a little bit of the greeny scale showing a weep.
A few years ago I took it apart, and put it together again with LS-X as a "lubricant". Obviously it sets, but with a shove it comes apart. No leaks.

Sponsored Links
I've fitted lots of sliding/extending rad. tails over the years with no problems. Usually saves a lot of time when replacing imperial sized rads with their closest size metric ones.

Recently I have seen a couple of posts on here that suggest that these fittings are likely to leak. I don't like to think that there are loads of rads around the Bristol area that could spill their contents at any time.

Has anyone else had an 'experiences with these fittings?

Bad plumbers are prone to leaks not the fittings they use :D

I don't get those yet, but I'm getting older so it's only a matter of time...

About 5 Years ago I fitted one at home because it was after work, and the new rad was a bit shorter, and the telescopic was the easy way out :oops: after about four years it suddenly decided to P**s out every where, it was a cold january night , and all I could do was valve off, (Mrs Boilerman2 was not best pleased!!) dinner was in the dog :rolleyes:

Needless to say I don't touch em with a barge pole now! ;)

Used them a couple of times when they first came out if there is any stress on pipe they P out . Dont trust them seen too many leak

Ive never used them, only replaced leaking one I m afraid!
Its solid extensions and trvs with tails I use.
Remember you can usually shorten the trv tails by up to 15mm if you have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back