are patio heaters ethically acceptable?

Using energy unnecessarily is already on the agenda for banning
Hey Schmitz,, how much energy did you waste replying to this thread? Surely the wasting of energy is a personal thing? How many of these 10's of millions of people at risk (as BAS puts it) could be saved by shutting down the internet? ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
The UK has a shortage of electricity generation - a situation which will get worse before it gets better.

I think that is a problem of our own making, or rather one of our politicians.

Had we invested in more nuclear power production facilities, rather than ridiculous windmills, electrical power would be quite sufficient for our needs if not completely plentiful.

As for electrical patio heaters, I have seen these things used outside several pubs since the 'smoking ban' was brought in on the grounds that smokers still wish to have 'a cig with their pint', and sitting outside in the freezing cold of winter is not an attractive proposition for anyone. Perhaps if pubs were allowed to provide both non-smoking and smoking rooms...
Sorry to stray slightly off-topic!

As for electrical patio heaters, I have seen these things used outside several pubs since the 'smoking ban' was brought in on the grounds that smokers still wish to have 'a cig with their pint', and sitting outside in the freezing cold of winter is not an attractive proposition for anyone. Perhaps if pubs were allowed to provide both non-smoking and smoking rooms...

Interesting point actually.

The green anti smoking brigade drove out the smokers, firstly to separate bars, then outside with the patio heaters.

So saving their lungs is destroying the planet in a bizarre kind of way.

So if patio heaters are an evil of modern society, the pub ones are their fault.

I like it.

Sponsored Links

The green anti smoking brigade drove out the smokers, firstly to separate bars, then outside with the patio heaters.

So if patio heaters are an evil of modern society, the pub ones are their fault.

I like it.
What a ridiculous association to make! :rolleyes:
It's the fault of those that care for their own health by not wanting to suffer fom second-hand smoke, that pubs waste heat for the warmth of smokers outside? :rolleyes:

This exemplifies the intellectual capability, and ability to accept appropriate responsibility, of some people.

This exemplifies the intellectual capability, and ability to accept appropriate responsibility, of some people.[/quote]

And this exemplifies the dictatorial attitude of you greenies. Tell me why pubs cannot cater for both non-smokers and smokers by assigning separate rooms, or perhaps by some pubs being allowed to be 'smoking' whilst others remain 'non smoking'. (He can't!)

No, I thought not. Greenies are not in favour of freedom of choice.

Because a possibly non-smoking member of staff would have to go into that room as part of their job?

I like it.
What a ridiculous association to make! :rolleyes:
It's the fault of those that care for their own health by not wanting to suffer fom second-hand smoke, that pubs waste heat for the warmth of smokers outside? :rolleyes:

This exemplifies the intellectual capability, and ability to accept appropriate responsibility, of some people.

And this exemplifies the dictatorial attitude of you greenies. Tell me why pubs cannot cater for both non-smokers and smokers by assigning separate rooms, or perhaps by some pubs being allowed to be 'smoking' whilst others remain 'non smoking'. (He can't!)

No, I thought not. Greenies are not in favour of freedom of choice.
Apart from, or as well as, the other replies, your associating two entirely different practices and trying to blame the one on the other.
If you want to discuss smoking in pubs, and/or blame the greenies for the legislation, then by all means do so.
Don't you think, in all honesty, it belongs in its own thread?
But don't attempt to blame anyone else for the decisions of landlords for wasting energy.

I notice you've removed your thanks from LastMagicBean's comment since my response.
Wise decision. ;)

the decisions of landlords .... wasting energy.

This point keeps coming back; precisely who says a landlord is 'wasting energy' if he chooses to use a patio heater for smokers?

Are you the arbiter of energy use, or someone in Department of Climate Change, or someone in Brussels?

It is all about freedom of choice, and this fetish with banning a few watts here and a few watts there is reducing choice and ultimately - by extension - freedom.

This point keeps coming back; precisely who says a landlord is 'wasting energy' if he chooses to use a patio heater for smokers?

Are you the arbiter of energy use, or someone in Department of Climate Change, or someone in Brussels?

It is all about freedom of choice, and this fetish with banning a few watts here and a few watts there is reducing choice and ultimately - by extension - freedom.
In my opinion, it's a waste of energy.
You have a problem with that?
Or do you want to deny people an opinion?
Even jockscott recognises that:
Surely the wasting of energy is a personal thing?

Hang on, Where's my thanks gone???? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Enuidiot, you're comedy gold. :LOL:
And you're just the idiot. :rolleyes:
Firstly, you blame anti-smokers for landlord's decision to use patio heaters. :rolleyes:
As if that isn't stupid enough, you then try to associate anti-smokers with the Greens, and, by intimation, suggest that there is something wrong with being energy conscious.
Now, you think that having a memory, about what thanks were made and removed, is in some way comedic.

I'll wait for a response while you nip outside for another smoke, in between your pints, or should that be rants. :rolleyes:

No doubt, when you've realised what an ass you've made of yourself, again, you'll surreptitiously be asking joe to remove my comments and ban me. :rolleyes:

Ennui, most landlords who provide heaters for smokers have done so to at least try and assure a livelihood for themselves, by ensuring that smokers are catered for. This was only ever due to legislation by the UK government.
Someone mentioned that pubs could have offered a non smoking room too. You countered this by saying, non smoking bar staff may also have to enter these rooms. That's utter b*****ks, brought on by the iniquitous Human Rights Act/Employment legislation. A non smoker should have had to make the landlord aware (at interview stage) that they were not prepared to enter a room where smoking is/was taking place. (yep you know they wouldn't have got the job)
Much like the Muslim shop workers who now use HR legislation to say they cannot bring themselves to sell/handle alcohol to bonafide members of the public. (strange how they never mentioned this before they got the bloody job in the first place)

What happens when the landlord is a non smoker, does he have to give up his job too?

Sponsored Links
Back