Are post spikes a good idea?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a fence. I have little money. So might have to DIY it.
Post spikes seem the easiest way - are they a good idea? Cannot see myself successfully wrestling concrete posts and gravel boards into position, so spikes and wood seems like the best choice.

I still need to remove those old concrete posts though ... I bet they are bedded in well.

Sponsored Links
Although these things certainly have their place, I don't think its what you need here.....if the ground is soft they wobble - if the ground is stony you can't bash them in or they drift off course.
Digging holes and in with the concrete is really the way to go.
Best of luck with getting the existing ones out....best to hire a breaker - a big one!
John :)

By the time you've messed about you'd be better off getting a fencer in.
You may be surprised at how reasonable the cost is.
It will be done very quickly too..
You will have a nice fence too.
Nothing worse than a DIY done by someone that's not sure...no disrespect,you may make a really good job.

'Repair Spurs' maybe the better way for you. Once in then you can bolt a wooden post to get to the height of the fence you desire. Only disadvantage is that they should be on your side... The way I install them is to put them in the fence line - so the bolts are in line with the fence panels.

Sponsored Links
You know, I think you're right - I really want to get a fencer in. I'd prefer not to do it myself. Will def. have a fencer do the part that runs between the houses down to the road. I'll see how much it is to go another 30m....

if the fencer cuts the old concrete posts off, you will never get them out.

local fencer coming over tonight for a few rounds of epee sparring and then to quote on erecting a garden barrier.

if you let him use wooden posts, your boundary will eventually become a mess of buried concrete blocks, after the old posts have gone, and it will be even more difficult to space the next posts.

Am I the only person thinking the concrete posts still look in fairly good condition, why do you want them out?

By the time you've messed about you'd be better off getting a fencer in.
You may be surprised at how reasonable the cost is.
It will be done very quickly too..
You will have a nice fence too.
Nothing worse than a DIY done by someone that's not sure...no disrespect,you may make a really good job.

+1 for this.
Pro's and cons of all options of course, but the above means that
... you can bring up and address all sorts of 'aspects' with your neighbour and air issues/questions very easily under the pretext that you are wanting to inform/equip the fencer adequately. The fencer is a neutral party...ish! With the fencer there for a 3 way meeting you can gauge the fencer, and your neighbour and the fact that a third party is present can keep people in check/better behaviour.

Caveat; there's nowt as queer as folk, and does your fencer know your neighbour? !!

the neighbour is currently developing the house and planning to sell it, so there should be no problem. I am sure they will be pleased that the current fence is changed before they invite people to view it!

I need a fence. I have little money. So might have to DIY it.
Post spikes seem the easiest way - are they a good idea? Cannot see myself successfully wrestling concrete posts and gravel boards into position, so spikes and wood seems like the best choice.

I still need to remove those old concrete posts though ... I bet they are bedded in well.
Spikes tend to twist as they are hammered home and difficult to keep vertical.
You could end up with a wave fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back