How to improve this fence....

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Concrete posts are about 3.5m apart. All solid. So, if I could use them, that would be handy, but how? Want a taller fence, that's solid.

IMG_20180307_172106812.jpg

Sponsored Links
The posts are on the opposite side - indicating that (if you are in your garden) that the fence is your neighbour's .
I had similar fences with my house.
I used 8 foot concrete fence posts - buried 2feet down, with 12" concrete gravel boards, buried 6" down.
Then 5 foot panels and a small arched trellis at the top

Planning the post position first can avoid old concrete footings. I removed my old posts- use the post as a lever.

According to the deeds, the fence is mine.

NormLly the post is inside the property.
So you can remove the fence entirely and build in line

Sponsored Links
Well, it's definitely all my fence in my property.
So, the best solution is to remove all the posts?

The posts are on the opposite side - indicating that (if you are in your garden) that the fence is your neighbour's .
I had similar fences with my house.
I used 8 foot concrete fence posts - buried 2feet down, with 12" concrete gravel boards, buried 6" down.
Then 5 foot panels and a small arched trellis at the top

Planning the post position first can avoid old concrete footings. I removed my old posts- use the post as a lever.

Do you think the gravel boards add to the rigidity of the fence?.

Our 10 year old fence is nearing the end and was thinking about concrete posts but 2ft might not be deep enough in some areas.

Best to chat with the neighbour first; he may be convinced it's his fence, and start a ruckus. Those posts are useless, so remove them, or break them and cut through the steel rebar with an angle grinder. As you've got a hedge and bushes there, then post hole digger may be hard work getting through the roots. You can hire an petrol auger, but you may want two people on it in case of really bad roots. You're supposed to fill the hole with water, and then add the postcrete otherwise it may not go off for a few days at the bottom, and the post might end up leaning.

Do the end posts, and then run a string line between them top and bottom.

This is good reading

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back