Fencing

AI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chain link fencing with Concrete posts ready drilled for use. I would like to chainge this fencing to timber panel fencing to keep my privacy and security. The concrete posts are firmly on the ground, some of them about 3.3m apart. But these posts are wider at the base and narrow at the top. Instead of replacing them I thought it would be easier and cheaper to keep them. Can I use this concrete posts with timber panel fencing? How would the installation work? I look forward to your advice.

Regards
AI

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome A1 :D :D :D

as long as your shure you are allowed a fence and assuming its at the front the maximum height is 1m/4ft without planning permission

and its a non starter to use the old posts first because they wont be secure enough or because a fence panel is 1.828mm so your posts will just get in the way

if you wanted to keep the posts you could use closeboard fencing, which is stronger and attach the posts to the concrete posts. The closebaord can be altered to suit teh spacing of the posts. Personally though i wouldnt do it for a customer and would advise them to get rid of the posts and use new. You will also losde some of the garden as the new posts will sit forward of the old posts if you keep them

many thanks for your prompt replies. If I was going to get rid of the concrete posts, how long does it typical take to build a new timber fence. As I am replacing an existing fence I assume i don't need planning permission.

Regards
AI

Sponsored Links
if you are not bordering a highway then you can go up to 6 foot 6 inches. It really depends on how long teh fence is, the type of fence and the ground conditions to say how long it takes. Also depends if its a decent fencer doing it, a cowboy or a diy job!

if there are other houses the same round about see what they have done
if its ex local authority you may be restricted on what you can do
some only allow open fencing[see through]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back