Hey honey I shrunk the fence...

D

dm999

Well, not really, but I would like to make the existing fence taller without replacing it so any ideas would be gratefully received.

Existing fence is 1.2m high, the knackered bamboo screen behind makes it 1.5m but I want to remove the screen and increase the fence height to 1.6m.

The top horizontal rail is 15cm below the top of the existing fence.

The addition to the top of the fence needs to be solid for privacy, so trellis is not an option.

Happy to construct something myself or buy off the shelf but stuck for ideas!

Cheers, DM.

Sponsored Links
What sort of posts have you got?

How deep are they?

Sponsored Links
What sort of posts have you got?

How deep are they?

The fence sits on the brick wall, there are old 1950's concrete round top posts set into the wall and 3" x 2" timber posts are bolted either side of the concrete posts. Nice...

If you can get the same as already there and move the rail to the top of the old fence or cut the old fence to allow the new sections to be fixed (screwed) to the top rail of the old.
You will have to consider posts for support, either through the foundation/wall and alongside the old fence. Or stepped out to miss the wall at the bottom? And or, bolt through the wall and post?

If you top with anything else it might look "patched up"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back