Complex-ish Patio: How to get comparable quotes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a half finished raised patio - basically a concrete slab that we never finished when we were doing an extension a while back. The slab is 30cm high (almost level with bifold doors, but higher than grass). I want to extend it 1m further into the garden, then have it tiled with a couple of walls/steps. The trouble is - I'm sure exactly how the existing slab was constructed and I'm fairly sure it has been poured a little too high. Likely needs at least partial removal.

It seems like a slightly awkward job - I've had some fairly conflicting advice - but I do want to get it done this year, so looking at getting quotes. I'm wondering (a) what level of detail I should put in the quote, (b) what I should be asking about the approach the landscaper will adopt.

I was going to ask people to quote based on the following and during the process get clarity ont he approach they propose to deal with the existing slab. For example, a couple of years ago I had one quote that said "get rid of the entire slab and start again" - another said "we can just adhere porcelain to the current slab". Clearly apples and pears comparison.

I was going to describe the work as below. Really grateful for any advice.

BEFORE-AFTER-PIC-ATTACHED

Current Situation:
  • Semi-detached house at XXX. Drive-way and free on-road parking. Side access alley 1.2m wide.

• Rear extension built 3 years ago, concrete slab constructed for patio, but patio never installed. Slab is approx 30cm above grass level.

• ACO style train runs in front of patio doors, but drain potentially set too low / concrete slab poured too high to enable porcelain tiles to be installed.

Proposed Work:
  • Extend slab from current 3m depth from house to 4.4m and create a single step as pictured, with any necessary drainage/falls.

• Slab requires assessment, but due to construction, existing height and requirement to extend, is likely to require partial removal and rebuilding, including replacement of the existing aco drain that runs the length of the bifold doors.
  • Construction of approx 80cm tall/20cm wide, walls on top of patio. Total wall length 4.7m. White K-rend finished.

• Construction of 2 x 40cm tall/20cm wide flower beds as pictured, appropriately lined to stop water/damp staining and necessary drainage/weep holes. Total wall length 4.9m.

• Installation of Kandla grey porcelain over patio and step (with bullnose edge) approx 35sq/m.

• Installation of fence/privacy screen left and right side of patio.

• There is existing garden fencing that this might be attached to.
  • Wiring for Lighting:

• Left fence - 3 fixtures, Right fence - 3 fixtures, Left of step to garden - 1 fixture,
    • Right of step to garden - 1 fixture, Left flowerbed - 1 fixture, Right flowerbed - 1 fixture

Work not being quoted for:
  • Outdoor kitchen

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-19 232300.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-19 232300.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back