are there any open learning courses on heating/the physicsof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really want to gain a deep understanding of this field but having completed apprentiship in electrical engineering with the Royal Navy and then gone on to gain a proffesional qualification in the same via night school for 3 years when i left I wouldnt be able to complete another apprentiship because of financial restraints.

I also completed an Ou degree and was wondering if anybody knows if there is any such open learning (not necessarily OU) course out there that would lead to a degree/diploma which on the way would give me a good schooling on the physics of water etc (in the context of a heating engineer)

I have tried all local colleges etc but the only courses available are NVQ's in plumbing.

Sponsored Links
try to get on the City & Guilds 662, 5980 parts 1&2 (gas maintainance installation and service)

I know that sussex tech do it.

There's loads of info on the internet. Just do a Google search on say physics of heating and see what comes up (this for example). It should keep you busy for a few years

What sort of work do you want to do? The good thing about the plumbing/heating/building industry, like the Forces, is that there is so much scope.

Using your hands - on what domestic heating, commercial heating, drainage, domestic plumbing, sprinklers?

mainly using your backside (sitting down that is) - design work on the above, sales, technical support,

Trouble shooting?

You need to think and plot out a plan of action otherwise you may obtain qualifications that are not suited to what you envisage you want to do. Have a look on the websites to gain a better understanding of what the various types of work involves. The Heating and Contractors Association (HVCA) use to produce a Training Pack. The Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers and the Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors and the Insttitute of Diagnostic Engineers are likely to have some useful pointers for you.

Do you want to use your electrical qualifications / experience. That could be of great benefit to you! Ask yourself what experience you have had in the RN and what sort of Civvy industry would benefit from it. Could be that fast track manufacturing industry-oil, petrochem, food, car,data centres, etc would be well suited to your overall training to date.

Sponsored Links
There is a mismatch between what CAN be done with heating systems according to the physics involved and what is ACTUALLY done by common practice, in UK and elsewhere (practice in different countries is different!).

For example, it would make total sense for UK to have regulations that ensured that weather-compensators were installed alongside condensing boilers on all new and refurb'ed heating systems. This would ensure that the temperature of the radiators matched actual heat demand AND that the boiler operated at maximum efficiency. Instead of that, we have DUMB building regulations that only mandate condensing boilers. If this suggests to you that it's not just heating installers who do not understand the physics, you're probably right!

Unfortunately, the content of the PRACTICAL heating courses seems to be very light on complicated theory and there are no 'complicated theory' courses of any relevance to real systems - because you cannot get the bits to build them at economic prices.

I really want to gain a deep understanding of this field

I have tried all local colleges etc but the only courses available are NVQ's in plumbing.
Actually you cannot do an NVQ in plumbing in a college in the UK now, or for the last 4 years, you can however do a Technical certificate, which I think will be good for you, this involves the Technical knowledge behind plumbing, It is made up of level 2 and 3,(theres no level 1 in plumbing)
The most popular is the City and guilds 6129. Get in touch with me if you want more detail, Im a plumbing and gas lecturer here in Wales.. Cymru am Byth :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back