Looking For experience

raden said:
BOB DOLE..... go take your attitude elsewhere. This forum helps people, and is not a soap box for dissalusioned (sic) plumbers to put off potentially decent trades people.

you missed me out

I shall sulk !

WHAT DO YOU KNOW BIG MOUTH ALL YOU DO IS MEND PCB,S AND FRIGIN FANS WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE TRADE. IT IS A DYING,
TRADE AND IF I WANT TO GIVE ADVISE TO SOMEONE I WILL SO STICK A FAN IN IT.............

Sponsored Links
Hmmm......as much as it pains me, I tend to agree with BOB on this one. Plumbing isn't a trade that I'd recommend to anyone. Obviously there are loads of factors to take into account when assessing the suitability of a trade and it's earning potential. For the bog standard stuff, repairs and bath suite changes there just seems to be too many people out there chasing the work and all too willing to cut each others throat to get it. My local merchants, PC and an independant have also been complaining about how quiet trade has been. Done some work for an old lady last night. She showed me an invoice from a plumber she had in to do some work in Feb this year. Replace two ball valves and an immersion heater £ 65.00,inc materials. I'd have charged her more than that in labour. Like it or not, there are outside forces at work on our trade and their sole intention is to drive prices down. £ 9.50 to change a gas meter anyone? Not me!

Well, most peope I know don't exactly seem to have been hunting for work this winter

Got a call today, from a builder I know:

"How much do you want to change 10 radiators, Kensington?"

"Sorry I don't do humpy sort of plumbing anymore, and I hate Kensington - posh houses, horrid for parking"

"But how much? Empty house, park at the back, we help lift, same sort of radiators in same places."

"Sorry - you do it!!"

"We want you, a proper plumber"

:oops: "Sorry, I can't help, but I suppose, depending, it would take a couple of days for a careful guy to do it neatly. Labour £500 perhaps.."

"Would you do them for £200, labour only"

:evil: "Look, is this a bad phone line? I said ......."

"I mean £200 per radiator"

Sponsored Links
Solo, I take your points but am more optimistic. The ever tightening of us on the rack of regulation, implies to me that the "forces" are actually trying to squeeze out the casuals.

This involves a lot of pain for us right now, but more hurdles to overcome for those who can't.

I'm already noticing an increase in gas work like cooker installing, which is often done by the delivering firm or the local diy man or son in law, because of the forthcoming HIP or whatever it's called, people are recognising that they need certificates.. Conveyencing Solicitors are asking people for proof that gas work was done by corgi registered people right now.

I'm still hoping for a let up in the work.

solo said:
Hmmm......as much as it pains me, I tend to agree with BOB on this one. Plumbing isn't a trade that I'd recommend to anyone. Obviously there are loads of factors to take into account when assessing the suitability of a trade and it's earning potential. For the bog standard stuff, repairs and bath suite changes there just seems to be too many people out there chasing the work and all too willing to cut each others throat to get it. My local merchants, PC and an independant have also been complaining about how quiet trade has been. Done some work for an old lady last night. She showed me an invoice from a plumber she had in to do some work in Feb this year. Replace two ball valves and an immersion heater £ 65.00,inc materials. I'd have charged her more than that in labour. Like it or not, there are outside forces at work on our trade and their sole intention is to drive prices down. £ 9.50 to change a gas meter anyone? Not me!

i have seen prices as low as £7.75 to change a meter and £8.00 hr servicing the greedy contractors are taking the p..ss the thing is with the low prices is that gas engineers are 30 a penny these days
i would not recommend the gas corrupt game to anyone stick at filling shelfs.

thanks for all the replies guys, i really appreciate you having taken the time to answer me, and you have given me alot to think about.

My previuos job was as a retail department manager, so im used to working to tight regulations etc, and i tend to agree with paul barker, the more regs they introduce the less casuals, as the cost of the courses and the time taken to do them can impact on thier earning potential. This can only mean that to recoup this outlay prices will have to rise.

thats what im hoping anyway

We're all hoping. But it's only when joe public feels it in his pocket when he goes to the unregulated workers, that the system will work.
And I can't see that happening for a long time if ever.

If a householder had Vlad the installer to put a boiler in cheap and it comes to the HIP, all he needs is a £50 certificate to say it's OK.
Had this with hobs. Installation cost rockets if the gas pipe (often shared with boiler) isn't big enough and needs replacing. But if I find one a little undersized it's only "Not to Current Standards" and can be ticked as Safe To Use.[/i]

I cannot be so optimistic. The only effect the tightening regulations has is to:-

1. Increase the compliance costs for the professionals.

2. Increase the cost gap for the East Europeans to undercut.

We are increasingly being called to give landlord Certificates on boilers I know to have been installed by the unregistered.

There is also another breed, the CORGI East European. They can fully Certify and Notify the boilers their countrymen have fitted illegally. In fact thets all they do.

I once saw a Landlords Certificate which had been filled in when there was no gas supply to the property and the boiler had a fault ( which I was called to fix after the gas supply was connected ).

Tony

I know a landlord I estimate has a £70,000,000 property portfolio. He routinely uses unqualified East European labour.

Last boiler installation I saw they'd done was a Worcester Junior (condensing) joined on to the old Potty Puma flue with the condensate drain capped off underneath. Tenants said the boiler did manage to work for a short time.

It doesn't matter how much or how little customers are worth if they think they can save a few quid on their heating installation they are prepared to take a chance.

Anyone noticed how the regular customers are now taking there time to settle accounts - I'm having to turn down more and more due to late payment. Still waiting from last December for one job.

I've met two guys recently who supposedly have ACS qualifications and use a friendly RGI's details when they carry out work. Local merchant, between 4 & 4.30pm usually has a couple of employees from local companies purchasing their boilers for their fiddle work. Been in two houses in the last two weeks where the boilers have been fitted in the last three months by guys "who knew what they were doing". Not questioning competency but these guys don't have our overheads and are working for beer money. They may only be two hundred quid cheaper but that's a lot of money to most people.

UnionJack said:
......as the cost of the courses and the time taken to do them can impact on thier earning potential......

Not necessarily, UJ. I am doing a Plumbing NVQ Level 3 course evening class currently and there are a couple doing likewise who are able to avoid the full cost (around £550) as their earnings are low. Therefore they are in receipt of tax credits and by showing the relevant paperwork to the college admin they were able to puruse the course for a nominal sum (about £25 or £30).

You might find this worth looking into. If you do not expect much in the way of earnings to commence with you may find that you are eligible for tax credits. ;)

Tax Credits :LOL: :LOL: Try being a Raspberry Ripple Plumber on the sick . All..well most of the knowledge, and the tools ........I`ll travel to Ken`s Ington and do the rads....If the builder carries ME up the stairs too :LOL: I`ll kip in the attic. How do those Congestion Cameras work

UnionJack said:
My previuos job was as a retail department manager, so im used to working to tight regulations etc, and i tend to agree with paul barker, the more regs they introduce the less casuals, as the cost of the courses and the time taken to do them can impact on thier earning potential. This can only mean that to recoup this outlay prices will have to rise.

thats what im hoping anyway

as the cost of the courses and the time taken to do them can impact on thier earning potential

AREyou kidding me by the tIme you qualifi you will be lucky if we get £8.00 its the only trade that wages has gone down over years stick at your other job and save your money you will be in for a nasty shock

the only way to make money in this game IS AT NO 1.

1. CORGI.
2. CONTRACTORS.
3. ACS TRAINERS.

AND THE REST ARE 10 BOB AN HOUR MEN

JUST TAKE A LOOK ON JOBS PLUS YOU WILL GET THE IDEA.

You could try your local council contractor(paid £11.00 hour), thats how I started off at an age of 35, due to a shortage they are allways after good engineers who are willing to learn but be prepared to get thrown in the deep end, sink or swim.

Sponsored Links
Back