Are these two boilers exactly the same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts — I'm pestering you, once again. I have been looking for a replacement for our Vaillant EcoTec Pro 824 combi boiler. This is to obtain some idea of what it is going to cost — it would eventually be supplied by the heating engineer that installs it. However, all I can find on the Web is this: the new ErP compliant ecoTEC Pro 24 Combi Boiler.

Now, it may be "new" and be "Erp compliant" (which, to an ignoramus like me, means nothing), but I want to know whether, substantially, it is the same as the boiler that is being replaced. I mean, why is it stated to be a 24, instead of (like our old one) an 824? I'm afraid of making a blunder, when specifying what I want to be installed. Can someone please advise me?

With thanks in advance, for a speedy and informed response,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
The 8 denotes your old one as a combi rather than a 4 (heat only) or 6 (system) series boiler.

eRP is an energy efficiency thing that came in recently and means little to you as the homeowner other than the repairs will be more expensive and the boiler must meet this standard in order to be installed now. Ultimately the one you have referenced is the current equivalent of what you have. Why does it need replacing?

The 8 denotes your old one as a combi rather than a 4 (heat only) or 6 (system) series boiler.

eRP is an energy efficiency thing that came in recently and means little to you as the homeowner other than the repairs will be more expensive and the boiler must meet this standard in order to be installed now. Ultimately the one you have referenced is the current equivalent of what you have. Why does it need replacing?

Dan: It needs replacing (in my view) because it has had an intermittent fault for a long time. Three engineers have failed to put it right, and i am sick of coming down in the mornings and having to ignite it manually. Also, dodging out during the day, after it fails (fairly often). Thanks for the information you provided. However, this eRP business has opened a can of worms, and I hope you can tell me something else. There is a Honeywell room thermostat (a CM907) in our hall, that controls the boiler. I should like to know whether this is compliant with BoilerPlus legislation (in the UK, where I live), or whether I shall need to pay for a compliant kind of thermostat. Also, there is the business of weather compensation. Is this programmed into the boiler (24) that i mention, or is this some additional expense, and what is it anyway? (I am sorry about the barrage of questions, but if you can answer them, I should be very grateful). I never thought it would be such a complicated business to replace my boiler!

They are two different boilers. The pro has no drop down front door, no filling loop, a simpler display, a different gas valve, and calculates the HW temperature from the flow & return temperatures. It also has a shorter warranty. Pro is 2 years (5 for Advance installers) Plus is 5 years (7/10 for Advance installers) the (plus) 824 is now an 825.

Sponsored Links
the (24) that you keep referring to is simply the boiler size in KW i.e. 24 means 24KW 28 means 28KW etc same boilers just bigger outputs

They are two different boilers. The pro has no drop down front door, no filling loop, a simpler display, a different gas valve, and calculates the HW temperature from the flow & return temperatures. It also has a shorter warranty. Pro is 2 years (5 for Advance installers) Plus is 5 years (7/10 for Advance installers) the (plus) 824 is now an 825.

Hey, wannocks, that's very important information you have given. Thanks! It's saved me a great deal of trouble and misunderstanding. It's a Plus that I need, for sure.
A.W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back