Are TRVs mandatory for new installations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an air source heat pump fitted with underfloor heating downstairs and radiators upstairs. I noticed today that there are no TRVs on the rads. It's not going to work for us. My son wants his radiator off except during very cold weather. We need the bedrooms at different temperatures. I thought they were mandatory TRVs days. Is that not true?

Sponsored Links
No, they have never been "mandatory" and a good heat pump system tends to work best without them. However I would generally fit one on the bedroom radiators simply because as you say some people just don't like heat in the bedrooms.

"SSchedule 1 – Part L Conservation of fuel and power L1. Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in buildings by— (a) limiting heat gains and losses— (i) through thermal elements and other parts of the building fabric; and (ii) from pipes, ducts and vessels used for space heating, space cooling and hot water services; (b) providing fixed building services which— (i) are energy efficient to a reasonable standard; (ii) have effective controls; and (iii) are commissioned by testing and adjusting as necessary to ensure they use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances.

the above is the regulation. The rest of the document is guidance.

The guidance says "should" have TRVs, not "must" and it was written with boilers in mind not heat pumps, there is also additional guidance suggesting thernal buffering areas that are left open when it comes to heat pumps

Sponsored Links
"SSchedule 1 – Part L Conservation of fuel and power L1. Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in buildings by— (a) limiting heat gains and losses— (i) through thermal elements and other parts of the building fabric; and (ii) from pipes, ducts and vessels used for space heating, space cooling and hot water services; (b) providing fixed building services which— (i) are energy efficient to a reasonable standard; (ii) have effective controls; and (iii) are commissioned by testing and adjusting as necessary to ensure they use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances.

the above is the regulation. The rest of the document is guidance.

The guidance says "should" have TRVs, not "must" and it was written with boilers in mind not heat pumps, there is also additional guidance suggesting thernal buffering areas that are left open when it comes to heat pumps

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how many people write articles saying you must, the regulation doesn't say that.

Aside from bedrooms, TRVs on a heat pump are like pressing the accelerator on a car all the way down and using the breaks to adjust speed rather than simply lifting off the accelerator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back