Are You Addicted To This Forum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't help noticing, but some people must spend a lot of time in front of their computer, posting on this forum.

Some regulars have 18,000 posts in only 4 years of membership! Thats an average of 12 posts every single day! That's just the ones they reply to, they must read many more than that.

What do the regular posters get out of it? Do your families complain that they spend too long staring into a screen? If you are away on hoilday for example, do you get withdrawal symptoms? Do you have other interests? Is this your main hobby?

Sponsored Links
No I'm not, and no it isn't my main hobby. Main hobbies are guitar playing, painting in oils and watercolours and more recently photographing skies and sunsets (which I've always been fascinated by). However, I watch almost zero TV as I much prefer the two-way communication of a forum. I live on my own so just sort of check out the forum when I walk past the puter.
You can learn a lot from a forum. Softus and JohnD are both eloquent writers and I try to take some of that style for my own. It's always a plus to be able to write a decent letter - and being part of a forum helps.

I've learned many things from many people. Megawatt has convinced me that I'm a complete tosser - but who cares?

I was quite blown away by Joe-90's gracious post ! He gets a lot of flak, a lot of it quite undeserved and his comments regarding Softus and Megawatt were quite disarming. I suspect that Mega will be touched and lay off him for a bit but no doubt Softus will redouble his efforts to be unpleasant.....

I didn't include JohnD in the above as I have yet to see him being vicious to anybody.

Come on Softus, concentrate your square eyes on the computer and
tell me to stick with building houses ! :LOL:

513CZ36NG1L._AA280_.jpg
<- - - - me

Sponsored Links
Megawatt has convinced me that I'm a complete t****r - but who cares?
Complete is a little harsh ;) ... And, your sense of humour has never been questioned Joe :LOL:

I suspect that Mega will be touched and lay off him for a bit but no doubt Softus will redouble his efforts to be unpleasant.....
There's absolutely nothing whatsoever personal in relation to my posts with (or about Joe) ... We just don't see eye to eye on a few issues such as oil, speeding and immigration and, whilst these things do go round in circles, we seem to have been discussing these three things quite a bit of late. One thing we do both agree on though, I think, is our respective rights to have our own different opinions and express them freely ... And I often get just as much criticism from others as Joe sometimes gets from me.

One thing about Joe (and Softus actually) ... Whilst I don't always agree with either (or both) of them ... They both make me laugh (a lot) at times ... Which is no bad thing :)

MW

I like this forum.

There are some great characters on here, and I see some posts on here which make me laugh more than the TV ever does.

Also the wealth of knowledge on here is incredible, and there is something new to be learned every day.

If you have a problem of your own, there tends to be someone on here who has a friendly bit of advice to see you on your way.

i'd agree with RF.... what an incredible resource this place is.... although there is a bit too much bickering sometimes... occasionally your post will suddenly be 300 pages and you only asked a quick question about a plane and a conveyor belt !

Egos play a big part here too... but you can guarantee Tim W will turn up and make everyone laugh and calm 'em down...

It's a great site, i have learned lots from it, and the bovver is tiny in comparison to the benefit you can glean from it.

In answer to the original post, i am not addicted....but i think the more you post, the more you need to check how your post did, and how others commented on your post....so i'm probably on the slippery slope !

I will admit to always checking out at least the General Discussion forum whenever I'm at the computer but it's not addiction, it's paranoia.

shhhh! everyone stop talking about solo - he's back!

Forums are great places to be. You can learn lots from them, you can make cyber friends - sometimes you'll find you'll say things on a forum that you'd never say to anyone face to face - and I don't mean nasty things - you just might find it easier to put some things in writing on a forum than it is to talk to someone.

You get to "meet" so many different people that you probably wouldn't in everyday life.

And the forum that I run got over 140,000 posts in it's first year! That lot can yap!

And it's always nice to have either helped somebody out with the answer to a question or just made 'em smile.

Sponsored Links
Back