Ariel socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ariel socket problem.

my setup is TV/FM kingsway chrome sockets in all rooms with 2x coax going to the loft from each socket connecting to 2 powered distributors. one for the FM Ariel one for the TV Ariel.

The problem is that if a wire is connected to the FM side of the socket the TV signal gets very poor.
This happens even if there is no cables other then the TV coax that I am testing connected to any distribution box.

Are the sockets faulty?

All the wires/sockets/Ariel's/distributors are new.

Sponsored Links
That would depend what sort of sockets you're using. It sounds like a very odd setup, who spec'd it for you? Normally, FM and UHF TV signals are carried down the same cables, they are on completely different frequencies and can be sent through the same distribution amp and cabling without problems, therefore there is no need for two separate signal amps.

Do the dual outlets have two sets of connections on the back and, if so, are they isolated from each other? Have you tried more than one FM receiver, and does the problem occur with the TV regardless of which receiver you have connected on the FM side?

From the information you've provided it sounds as if TV and FM run as two completely separate systems that are interlinked by nothing other than the outlets. Perhaps if the shield is common to both sockets on the dual outlet plates then you could be experiencing some issues, but I'm finding it hard to put my finger on exactly why at this stage.

Hello, I've got an Ariel!

But I bet you haven't.

Sponsored Links
That would depend what sort of sockets you're using. It sounds like a very odd setup, who spec'd it for you? Normally, FM and UHF TV signals are carried down the same cables, they are on completely different frequencies and can be sent through the same distribution amp and cabling without problems, therefore there is no need for two separate signal amps.

The builder speced it when we had a refurb. That would make sence as the distribution unit has a FM socket.

Do the dual outlets have two sets of connections on the back and, if so, are they isolated from each other?
They do have 2 connections yes. They do look like they are conected on the pcb.

Have you tried more than one FM receiver, and does the problem occur with the TV regardless of which receiver you have connected on the FM side?

Yes have tried more then one and same happens. It even happens if the FM wire is conected at the socket end but left out of the distribution unit.
For testing I removed all but the one Tv wire conected into the distribution unit.

From the information you've provided it sounds as if TV and FM run as two completely separate systems that are interlinked by nothing other than the outlets. Perhaps if the shield is common to both sockets on the dual outlet plates then you could be experiencing some issues, but I'm finding it hard to put my finger on exactly why at this stage.

yes they are 2 different systems and are only close to each other in the sockets.

I will put a link to some photos later on.

JohnD Thanks for the bit of humor :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back