Ariston Eurocombi problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a look through at some other posts on here and found some info about my problems, but I am still not convinced of what it is.

Here goes. I started having problems with the boiler failing to ignite when hot water or heating was turned on, also it was losing water pressure every so often. The other thing that was happening was that the hot water was only just warm, but if I had the heating on the water would come out nice and hot. I had a guy out who changed the diverter valve, fan and pressure relief valve, and all was good for a few weeks (apart from a few leaks which I sorted out myself). But now the boiler has got progressively worse, and is now worse than ever. It hardly ever fires straight up, normally needing resetting at least a couple of times. Loses all water pressure at least every other day. The timer has also stopped working. I am really starting to think that maybe it would be worth my while getting a new boiler?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help, my head is going big time!

Sponsored Links
It may be worthwhile finding someone who CAN repair boiler instead of change parts. Yours is an easy boiler to repair. It reacts well to proper service. It is made of good solid components (not much plastic). Components (diverter etc) have stood the test of time.

Post your location. A regular near you might come to your aid.

Thanks for the reply.

I am in Bridgend, South Wales.

Reading some of the other posts on here, could it be possible the air pressure valve is faulty? and/or the vessel needs pressurising? I am also having trouble with fluctuations in the water pressure. I fill it up to around 1 bar, then when the boiler fires up the pressure normally shoots up to 2 or sometimes 3 bar. I am also getting the feeling I may need another new PRV as I have operated this manually myself a few times to get the water pressure back down to 1 bar, and I think I am right in saying that they tend to leak after being operated?

If anyone on here lives nearby who could offer some help that would be great.
If not, what would you guys suggest? I think I am more than capable to work on the boiler myself if it is to change a valve or whatever, but I do not want to touch anything that I am not sure about, gas etc. that is for the experts. I am a sparky and I have also worked as a fitter and on hydraulic/pneumatic equipment so I do not mind getting my hands dirty!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, how much would a replacement boiler cost?
That is if you can still get them?

No you can't buy those things any more!! Stopped a few years ago.
Your gleanings from the searches are about right.
See FAQ (7 I think) for the pressure things.
The combustion chamber has to be opened on this to get to the APS. Then you'd have to test the seal because the stoopid thing is glued together, so it's a corgi job really.

OK then, I had better get a pro in to take a look. Some interesting stuff in the FAQ, getting to know a fair bit about the boiler now and I would have liked to have a crack at it myself, but I am certainly not going to open the combustion chamber.

I will search the web for someone qualified in my area.

Cheers Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back