ariston eurocombi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
since my gas was turned off for a fire installation, my boiler has been temperemental . it is very difficult to ignite and cuts out for no reason . it wont cut off whilst it is in use but can fail to ignite when either HW or CH is required from cold/restart.
i initially thought there might be an air lock but have left CH on for days at a time , and the boiler may work normally for a few days after but will eventually cut out again and then will only re-ignite when it feels like .
can anyone suggest what the problem is and how much it will cost to fix
TIA
PAULA

please note 9

Sponsored Links
Not really. I have tried to ignite the boiler with the the fire on, working on the theory that this may help to expel any air in the system but this didnt help. Surely if I have had the CH on for days at a time any residual air would be forced out of the system in that time?
The boiler makes its usual whirring noise when I try to ignite it but then cuts out. I can see sparks through the little observation window during this time so still feel it is something to do with the gas supply. The gas was off for a few days and the old fire was disconnected from the pipe so there was plenty of opportunity for, perhaps dust, to get into the pipes. No probs before new fire was installed so feel it must be connected. TIA

There shouldn't have been any opportunity for anything to get into the gas pipes as they must never be left connected with an open end, but they may have become restricted, getting a simple working pressure check from a heating engineer will be the first call.

Sponsored Links
Could be just coincidence, of course. But you ought to get the boiler burner pressure checked. this should be part of any service or safety check - is it due for a service? If there were a problem with the gas supply such as a blockage, this would show up as an inadequate burner pressure, and also an inadequate inlet pressure before gas valve.

Has'nt been serviced in the 3 years since installation. Just trying to save a few bob before having to get an engineer in but looks like I may have to.
Incidentally the gas pipe that connects to the fire WAS left with an open end for a few days.
Thanks for the advice guys, will get an engineer out to take a look.

So the gas fire installer wasn't Corgi registered?

Leaving an open ended gas pipe is pretty serious - suppose someone had accidentally turned on the gas? The gas fire installer ought to be brought to book. So you see using an unregistered installer doesn't save money in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back