ARRRRGGHHH!!! Painted lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm busy trying to renovate a house to move into and I'm stripping the walls in the whole house. Some of the rooms are wallpapered and the trusty steamer is doing a marvellous job of stripping it.

However, some of the rooms have had lining paper thrown up (Not put up judging by the quality of the job!). The trouble is some bright spark then painted them all with emulsion. :evil:

Does anyone know of a good tip for removing this, I've tried the steamer and soaking the walls after they've been scored with a three wheel scorer thingy. I steamed to the point of hearing the plaster underneath cracking as it gets hot and still the damn stuff won't budge.

I've now resorted to using a razor sharp wallpaper scraper (6" wide) and using it at a very shallow, knuckle scraping angle to basically cut between the paint and the paper. It's working very effectively but it's taking hours (3 hours for a 3m wall) and it's really hard work!

Any good tips apart from selling the house and running away!!

btw. I am looking to live in the house for the next 5-10 years so I want to remove the lining paper and paint the walls rather than paper over the top of it all.

Thank

FK

Sponsored Links
This worked for me with some very old multiple eggshell emulsion painted woodchip (nice)

Give the wallpaper a good going over with some course sandpaper
Do all that scoring stuff with the old wheeled jobby
Fill the steamer up to full
Get it steaming away nicely
Ensure all the windows and additional doors are closed.
Leave the room, and put a towel at the bottom of the door.
Leave to stew for as long as you can.
Go back in room, should be like a sauna, strip paper, mine almost fell off the wall after this treatment. I can't guarantee that your plaster won't as well though.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip, I tried it tonight and it seemed to work well. I went for 40 grit paper on an electric sander (thought I'd give it hell!!).

Had a qiuck go with the steamer which started to go through the paper straight away, but I'll do the sauna trick tomorrow unless I can persuade the wife that it's good for the skin. ;)

Thanks again for the tip.

FK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back