Asbestos Identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Started pulling out some ceiling tiles, and someone commented they may contain asbestos, excuse my ignorance but I didn't realize and pulled and broke up a lot of them without mask ! have sent sample to be tested, but wondered if anyone could take a look at pics and advise if they think they look like asbestos prior to getting my results back.

Many Thanks,
Gaz

Attachments

• 20240123_154121.jpg
    20240123_154121.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20240123_154118.jpg
    20240123_154118.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20240123_143125.jpg
    20240123_143125.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Likely nothing to worry about, but testing is the only way to be sure.

I'd say you're right to be concerned, especially if they date from the 60's to the 70's. If they're 90's on you should be ok - unless they're old! The look is compatible with the ASB containing ones I've seen, but that doesn't mean.....
You can't be certain without a high powered microscope and reference pictures. They used all manner of fibres.

FWIW, and I hate to diagnose from a photo, but they look like compressed organic fibre ceiling tiles, and not asbestos-containing.
Heavily-caveated though as, like I have said, I would not be very committal from a photo alone.

Sponsored Links
Don't stress too much about it while there is no 'safe' level of asbestos exposure the reality is there is a lot of asbestos around, it was worked with regularly by lots of people on the 60s 70s and 80s, many of who are still alive and kicking. Makes sense to test and be cautious if you have more tiles to remove etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back