Asbestos roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
My flat has an asbestos roof that will probably need replaced in the next few years. Will I need special contractors and will it be very expensive? :cry:
Thanks
Alison

Sponsored Links
Personally id avoid messing around with asbestos and get a contractor in but that may well be expensive.

Although you can get quite cheap masks for this stuff so maybe you could normal contractors?

www.protecdirect.co.uk

This asbestos thing is a rip-off. Cigarette smoking kills one-in-two that smoke. Asbestos tiles don't kill anyone.

joe

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
This asbestos thing is a rip-off. Cigarette smoking kills one-in-two that smoke. Asbestos tiles don't kill anyone.

joe

I heard about the bloke who was killed by an asbestos tile...............
it fell on his head :LOL:

I BELEIVE the small particles of asbestos are fine enough to be absorbed through skin.

That being said, roof panels are mainly cement with asbestos bound in it. Therefore this is the less dangerous type of this substance.

I did remove the cement/asbestos roof panels from my garage and took them down the council tip, to go in the special asbestos tank.

Having taken precaution to keep the panels wet in their removal, to reduce risk, the council tank is a large box with a slot at the top for putting the panels in, a bit like a large pillar box. You slide in the panels, they drop to the bottom and the dust shoots out the open slot at the top, where you face is.

You must do what you think best, they will be telling us cement is dangerous in ten years time.

I hope the above helps in some way.

Regards

Mike MS

blainey said:
Hi there
My flat .................Aren`t flats leasehold :?: has an asbestos roof that will probably need replaced in the next few years......Probably might not ;) . Will I need special contractors and will it be very expensive? :cry: Your land lord should be worrying not you ;)
Thanks
Alison

This is an old post.. but just to confirm its asbestos dust thats the danger hence the reason you damp it and use gloves so you dont rub it into your eyes..
Personally i would worry about a post box slot that blows asbestos dust at you when you use it..

Static.

All council tip tanks are the same. As you can guess, I was not overly impressed with the experience. Having gone to the trouble of disposing of them correctly, as opposed to dumping them on the side of the road, which seems to be a common occurance nowdays.

I did ask how the council dispose of the tank load of asbestos and they say they just bury it first, with all the other rubbish on top.

I should point out these tanks are for cement/asbestos sheets only, ie the ones on your roof. The lady across the road from me has an asbestos sheeted garage. The only concrete in that is the floor. I guess any new owner will have to pay £ks to have it removed. I bet it never gets hot inside in the summer though. :LOL:

All the best.

Mike MS

mikems said:
Static.

All council tip tanks are the same. As you can guess, I was not overly impressed with the experience. Having gone to the trouble of disposing of them correctly, as opposed to dumping them on the side of the road, which seems to be a common occurance nowdays.

I did ask how the council dispose of the tank load of asbestos and they say they just bury it first, with all the other rubbish on top.

I should point out these tanks are for cement/asbestos sheets only, ie the ones on your roof. The lady across the road from me has an asbestos sheeted garage. The only concrete in that is the floor. I guess any new owner will have to pay £ks to have it removed. I bet it never gets hot inside in the summer though. :LOL:

All the best.

Mike MS
Don`t think so .......just flat sheets of as/cement same as corrugated roof sheets ;)

Nige F.

In that case, I have learnt something new. I always assumed these 'asbestos panelled' garages had a greater risk than the roof panels founds elsewhere. I did see a program on TV once where kids had set fire to a all asbestos garage, the neighbours spent all night throwing buckets of water over it.

Then the council came, a few days later, completely clad in protective clothing, picks up each speck and double wrapping it. You could see the neighbours thinking hang on, if its that dangerous days later!!!

The owner could not afford the clean up bill.

On a different note, did you want something from my old boiler? Its now removed and about to go down the dump.

Regards

Mike MS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back