Atlas Kablo (again)

That Robin loop tester on eBay is a telecom tester not sure if it would be suitable for testing power cables :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Dunno what happened to my first attempt to reply - could have sworn I'd clicked submit.... :rolleyes:

I made the same two points as TTC's #1 & #2, and suggested looking into Ethos, but Tony has supplied more info.

The big brands on eBay - Megger, Fluke etc command higher prices because more people have heard of them and more people want them. Plus they are good.

Lesser known brands attract less interest and therefore less competitive bidding. See these recent ones, for example.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330503149084&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130452525460&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEHA-Unitest-...922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a0c40dd12

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TELARIS-MULTI..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4155109ff2

Don't forget to budget for calibration testing if the item's certificate has expired, and buy or build a checkbox to use when you've had it calibrated to keep track.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just had a wee look at my bank balance. I won't be buying any testers this month.

It's all been fine for the last 6 months - I'm sure it will be fine for a while yet.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and here's hoping I can afford to check this at some point in the future.

Colin C

It's all been fine for the last 6 months - I'm sure it will be fine for a while yet.
My response to that is the same as always:

I could have been driving my car for the last 6 months, not wearing a seatbelt and for all I know with broken airbags and I'd have been fine.

Some of the things you need to test are to do with how the circuit will behave if something goes wrong.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Ban All Sheds that the installation having worked for many months is not an assurance that the system is without faults. And I agree that it is essential to ensure that the safety devices will work if needed.

The most important conductor for the operation of safety devices is the earth wire ( or CPC ) and this should be tested for continuity from the consumer unit to all places where it should be.

The big brands on eBay - Megger, Fluke etc command higher prices because more people have heard of them and more people want them. Plus they are good.

They are worth it though (thats not to say that you cant sometimes get it at a decent price on ebay though, because you can)

I wouldn't go back to alphatek now after using megger kit :eek:

Hello I work for the BBC and am looking into Atlas Kablo - I'd like to find out where the cable may have been used and would like to hear from anyone who knows about it - in confidence. Thank you

Hi - what we're trying to establish is where the cable is fitted, not that it's been recalled. I can't go into too much detail here, but if you could call me, I'd be really grateful: x Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will have been installed in houses, commercial properties and industrial premises throughout the U.K. by penny pinching electricians and DIYers.

No one will will ever know for sure where it all is or how much was installed.

My mum doesn't let me use the telephone.

It will have been installed in houses, commercial properties and industrial premises throughout the U.K. by penny pinching electricians and DIYers.
I don't really see how choosing a cable which was apparently officially pukka makes someone penny-pinching....

Do you have any evidence or suspicion of harm having come from the use of this cable, Clifford Thompson? It seems a bit late for a hit piece on this now - Grenfell Tower connection maybe?

Please see forum rule 4
Hello, I'm happy to discuss this over the phone, my number is x Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit odd to come back to notifications on this thread now. I can tell you that the Atlas Kablo cable I used 7 years ago was purchased from a well known online electrical retailer, installed domestically, and the property has changed hands long ago. Not sure what else I can tell you that could possibly be of interest.

What's a telephone?

They are probably planning a TV programme full of lurid exaggerations, gross misconceptions and convincingly expounded ignorance, edited in a way to maximise the totally-out-of-context use of statements.

That's what they usually do, to entertain the lumpen audience who they believe are as thick as two short planks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back