Atlas Kablo (again)

Don't know, but either way, it sounds like there will be a lot of properties with this dodgy cable that will otherwise be ignored - chiefly because no one will want all the upheaval of replacing it.

Sponsored Links
Don't know, but either way, it sounds like there will be a lot of properties with this dodgy cable that will otherwise be ignored - chiefly because no one will want all the upheaval of replacing it.
I'm not sure what your 'otherwise' means. I can't really see what Clifford could do that could even identify most of those 'ignored' properties, let alone do something about them.

Kind Regards, John

I couldn't tell you what brand of cable I installed today! What I can tell you is it was the easiest 10mm² I have ever stripped. No knife, no butchery, the sheath just peeled right off like a banana.

I think if I fitted some cable called Atlas Kablo I'd be thinking that's a funny name. That sounds like it could be foreign crap. I'll remember this. I suppose people think differently.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what your 'otherwise' means. I can't really see what Clifford could do that could even identify most of those 'ignored' properties, let alone do something about them.

Kind Regards, John

'Otherwise' being if no one does anything. Which is what is happening now.

If it is dangerous I assume it needs addressing. Is it dangerous?

'Otherwise' being if no one does anything. Which is what is happening now.
That's what I thought you meant - but, as I thought we had agreed, there is no way that the great majority of buildings with such cable could be identified - so I can't see what anyone can really 'do' in relation to most of the affected installations.
If it is dangerous I assume it needs addressing. Is it dangerous?
I don't know. The cable was obviously sub-standard enough to result in the (late) recall, but I don't know (or can't remember!) much of the details.

Kind Regards, John

I think if I fitted some cable called Atlas Kablo I'd be thinking that's a funny name. That sounds like it could be foreign crap. I'll remember this. I suppose people think differently.
Yes, but as has been pointed out, it is quite possible that a lot of it was sold under names which sounded neither funny nor foreign.

Kind Regards, John

It almost reminds me of those phone calls I get (despite all the measures in place to prevent them!) from people fishing to discover whether I have been the victim of an accident who they could 'help'!
I once had fun with one of those - strung it out for quite some time (good to waste the time of a call-centre minion, as it causes his performance to drop). Eventually I expressed my excitement that something could be done because the accident had been very serious and life-changing.

CCM: "What were the long-term effects?"

BAS: "I am dead, it was a fatal accident."

CCM: Click.

On a slight side point... can anyone remmber a vagely popular intrnet meme about 8 years ago "101 things skippy must not do in the US army" it was quit widely known and linked to in some parts at the time, at a similar time I had a post deleted here by the mods because I explained why the neutral passess through the terminals on the meter being to make abstractation slightly harder as opposed to just a token neutal provided for the voltage coil...becuase they thought I'd told folks how to bypass their meterso_O. I changed my signature on here to something like "#76 thing I must not do on here provide abstractation advice" as a bit of a **** take. I also had my home town on the location field and my email addressn(which had my surname in) on the profile. I actually had a researcher see the signature and proceed to call everyone with the sam surname in the local telephone directory because they were making a show on meter fraud and were digging for the details behind the signature comment

On a slight side point... can anyone remmber a vagely popular intrnet meme about 8 years ago "101 things skippy must not do in the US army"
(y)

I had a post deleted here by the mods because ... they thought I'd told folks how to bypass their meterso_O.
Some of the Mods are hard of thinking.

And don't tell me - they would never engage with you over it, never explain themselves, and never admit that they had made a mistake, let alone apologise.

Surprise surprise, there's a tenuous attempt to link to the Grenfell fire.

And this:

Sam Gluck, technical manager at electrical fire consultants Tower Electrical Fire and Safety, said this approach had "planted a bomb in the system".

He explained: "If it overheats, it will ignite anything that touches it. If it's against a plasterboard wall that will ignite.

"There should have been an immediate recall and they [shops and electricians] should have been instructed to hand the cables back."

If someone can get plasterboard to ignite through contact with an overheating cable, then I will be very impressed.

Surprise surprise, there's a tenuous attempt to link to the Grenfell fire.

And this:
If someone can get plasterboard to ignite through contact with an overheating cable, then I will be very impressed.

I'm not surprised - it's exactly as I predicted further back in the thread in post #27. It sadly goes to show just how predictable the BBC are these days with their hackneyed journalism - trying to find a nasty in the works somewhere to appease (or inflame) the turgid masses.

I could do it.

First pre-soak the PB in an accelerant.

Then use steel or tungsten wire which I can get to very high temperatures before it melts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back