Attaching a new bath to a wall?

T

TMGB

I am installing a new bath, does it need to be attached to the wall or floow to stop it sliding around or twisting when people get in and out (obviously only one person at a time)?

If so, what should it be attached with?

Sponsored Links
All decent baths come with fixing brackets.

What's the construction of your new bath?

Don't fix it to the wall. Use flexi tap connectors and a flexi waste connection, then you can move it about if you fancy a change or just want to clean behind it.

solo said:
Don't fix it to the wall. Use flexi tap connectors and a flexi waste connection, then you can move it about if you fancy a change or just want to clean behind it.
You have got to be kidding.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
solo said:
You have got to be kidding.

Reading some of Mr Solo's other posts on here I don't think he is from this world :rolleyes:

solo said:

do you go to the same college as Lorraine by any chance?

Chances are you were still warm sticky fluid when I was at college sunbeam.

I didnt mean to disrespect you Mr Solo..

...you were kidding about the bath though ;)

Moi, kid? Never.

Don't worry bster.....didn't take offence. I've read some of your posts and you could probably blow me out of the water in some matters. It's all just fun.

P.S. Don't tell the others though.

"does it need to be attached to the wall or floor"
A DIYer comment here. If the bath is a plastic/acrylic type, it is likely to come with some mounting brackets and a pair of support frames. In my opinion, these are never very sturdy and, in time, the bath will move and break any seal or tiling which it might be in contact with. I would suggest a batten on any side which is against a wall, ie, fixed at a height suitable for the moulded lip, of the bath, to rest upon. On the long side, not against a wall, a suitable frame can be made up to sit under the lip of the bath. This will ensure that there is adequate support when this side has to take the weight of a person entering or leaving the bath. A long packing piece, mounted on the floor, under the bath, fitted so that there is a small clearance under the bottom of the bath, will take, and distribute, the weight, when the bath is filled with water. Paying attention to it's rigid installation, at this stage, will avoid various problems later on.

solo said:
Moi, kid? Never.

Don't worry bster.....didn't take offence. I've read some of your posts and you could probably blow me out of the water in some matters. It's all just fun.

P.S. Don't tell the others though.

ok

Gripfill .......solvent based , and inhale deeply :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

The most common method is to batton to the wall, however I was advised to chase the lip into the wall to ensure a solid fix and water tight seal. You can then run the tiles up to the tub. I've had no end of problems with my bath, thinkin of dragging it out and doing just that... :)

If it is a modern house piece of planed 2x2 screwed into framing and glued (i used no more nails) to the plasterboard - will need cutting away for the bath legs. Two done 18m ago and nothing has moved - one each side of the same wall so it is probably the stiffest wall in the house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back