Bath surround frame support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’m looking at supporting my new acrylic bath with timber around the rear and 2 sides as everyone has suggested it best to do.

There’s wooden timber already encapsulated onto the bath but this doesn’t protrude further than the acrylic lip. So if i was to fix timber to wall and sit bath as it is on top, the lip will be taking the load which to me doesn’t sound right. I’m not sure if I’ve got a rubbish bath or if it’s normal to have the lip around the rear and sides sticking further down that the timber attached the bath.

Also the timber areadly stuck to the bath hasn’t been put in level, so you have 3mm of lip protruding one side and then 10mm the other.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to do?

My potential plan is to stick timber on the bits already on the bath which will then mean the supporting timbers attached to the wall will be in contact with the timber attached to bath tub

Sponsored Links
Cut a rebate into the wood to give the lip clearance. Usually these types of bath are supplied with cranked brackets that the bath lip then sits on which aren't much use TBH

Alternatively you can space the baton away from the wall with a length of hardboard so the lip can sit within the gap created. The baton is there to support the side of the bath so it doesn't flex and pull on the seal when there is weight added to it, it's not holding the whole bath, if you see what I mean.

Yes I understand. So basically whenever you put a timber support in, it’s there to stop flexing and the feet are still taking up the main load.

So presuming when you glue the bath in, you need to screw and fix the feet down before the glue sets

Sponsored Links
Yep

My order of fitting is, batons on and level, dry fit bath and ensure everything is level, all pipework lines up/fits, feet roughly set etc. Bath back out and silicone along the batons, place the bath in and before pushing up to the wall, run a good line of silicone along all edges where the bath side will touch the wall, especially the corners, and then sit bath in, and push in tight, that should squeeze the silicone up and down and out to fill the gaps. Clean the squeezed out silicone tight along top edge so it's all filled and connect the cold water and waste and fill the bath 3/4's full and let sit for 24hrs for it all to cure with the weight of the water in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back