Audio CD will not play on laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a while ago I purchased "Walk Like Kings" CD by the Biblecode Sundays. I put the CD in to the laptop with the aim of converting it to MP3. No joy, the CD was not recognised. In the end I had to pay for a MP3 version from Amazon.

The CD plays in regular CD players.

Do newer audio CDs know when they are being played on a PC?

Sponsored Links
It seems that some music is copy write for different countries, so a CD, DVD, Bluray for USA will not always play in a player bought in the UK, I have found the reverse, good omens DVD will play in PC but not on stand alone DVD player, and today hard to find a lap top with a DVD player fitted.

My old lap top had a bluray player/recorder and failed to read some CD's, maybe that's why bluray seems to have died out?

However not had any computer with a CD player, all have been DVD players which can also read CD's. And each one seems to have a list as to what they can read, and I have just looked at my Billy Connolly triple pack, and each disc is different as to what it will play on, likely due to the date when first pressed?

Sponsored Links
It seems that some music is copy write for different countries, so a CD, DVD, Bluray for USA will not always play in a player bought in the UK, I have found the reverse, good omens DVD will play in PC but not on stand alone DVD player, and today hard to find a lap top with a DVD player fitted.

My old lap top had a bluray player/recorder and failed to read some CD's, maybe that's why bluray seems to have died out?

However not had any computer with a CD player, all have been DVD players which can also read CD's. And each one seems to have a list as to what they can read, and I have just looked at my Billy Connolly triple pack, and each disc is different as to what it will play on, likely due to the date when first pressed?

DVDs have "region codes".

A US DVD (region 1) will not play on a UK (region 2) DVD player.

From memory, a PC DVD player will let you change the region zone 5 times and lock to the last region selected.

Do newer audio CDs know when they are being played on a PC?
A CD is an inert piece of plastic. It has no capabilities of doing anything.
The inability of a computer to recognise or play it is a limitation of whatever software is being used.

Region coding on DVD and Bluray is also a software limitation, included so that studios can release titles in different regions at different times and make more money.

A US DVD (region 1) will not play on a UK (region 2) DVD player.
more accurately, a DVD player which enforces region coding won't play DVDs from other regions.

Yes and have for a long time
Some have bonus content like videos etc.
I thought there was a way round it, but not used CDs for a while

Brian

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure that it is an enhanced CD though. There is nothing on the CD other than audio.

I guess that I need to try playing some CDs that have previously worked through the same external CD player.

A CD is an inert piece of plastic. It has no capabilities of doing anything.
The inability of a computer to recognise or play it is a limitation of whatever software is being used.

That is a good point.

Tnx

The CD plays in regular CD players.
You could have hooked the line out of your regular CD player to your computer and used some free software (Audacity) to record it to MP3. If you had the luxury of a different optical drive (different computer) I think I'd have tried that approach first as it's significantly faster and theoretically better quality, though I doubt most people's ears on most consumer grade equipment would detect a difference, provided that the levels were well set during recording

I have just remembered that I have another PC in the garage that I can try.

There was, about 15 years ago, a situation where one of the big record labels included a data track on their audio CDs, which would be ignored by autio players, but computers with auto run enabled would automaticlly run the program on the data track which would install a rooot kit on the computer in the background and this would have the purpose of trying to disrupt any copying operations.

However, the record company was publically shamed for it, and I think the security in modern versions of windows would not allow running of executable files from removable media without asking for permission

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back