B&Q misleading advert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else been conned by a £164 patio door advert in the latest 'just the job' magazine. As the photo shows a complete patio door set - and the size is listed - that is what you expect to get. When i went to buy one i was told it was only for the sliding door part of the set. The rest is seperate and £300 more! I complained to their head office and they more or less told me to bog off. WHAT A CON. This is done just to get you in the store hoping you will spend

Sponsored Links
It's like when I saw an advert for a window from Homebase, and the picture in the brochure showed the window fitted to a house.

I'm still corresponding with the store manager

Sponsored Links
To be fair to the OP if the size of the overall set was listed and it didn't specify the rest was separate then the advert was misleading. Possibly deliberately misleading.

I have seen similar adverts in the past where a reasonable person would assume items where included when they are not. For example my local paper contained an advert just last Friday for a patio furniture set with cushions, parasol, chairs, etc, for £99 yet I have been to the store (for something else) and noticed the price is just for the table and the rest is not included. That advert is deliberately misleading.

If the B&Q advert was misleading then the OP should make a written complaint to the store, the head office and when the non-responses come back send them all off with the advert to the ASA and make a formal complaint.

Joking aside the OP may have a point

The advert implies a patio door set including frame, and it certainly is unusual to advertise just the doors.

The size implies a frame without a cill though

So what exactly were the bits for the extra £300?

It says "Sliding patio door"

Not much more to say really. A lot of their stuff is advertised like this. Why have trading standards not stepped in before then?

I nearly got caught out in wickes today.

They have some products advertised with cards in bold numbers, so at a glance it looks like that is the price but if you pay more attention to the card, it says 'bulk price' with the single price smaller lower down.

Sneaky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back