B & Q Spotlights cable too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have purchased a transformer and spotlights from B & Q and have found that the cable that runs from the transformer to the white 2 pin blocks (dont know what they are called!) that the lights connect into is too short. Is there a safe way to make this lead longer? Or is there some sort of extendeder I can buy?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
:D

Sponsored Links
I had a similar issue with IKEA cables recently. I cut the cable in half and spliced in some cable of the same amp rating (3A) using crimps which I then heat shrunk over the top.

Worked like a charm.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have purchased a transformer and spotlights from B & Q and have found that the cable that runs from the transformer to the white 2 pin blocks (dont know what they are called!) that the lights connect into is too short. Is there a safe way to make this lead longer? Or is there some sort of extendeder I can buy?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
:D

Most manufacturers stipulate that the lenght of the cable must be limited to.... 250/500mm. You will need to read this instruction to clarify this.

Sponsored Links
Only needs to be extended by a couple of feet maximum
As I said most manufacturers set the limit on this cable and keep it short.
Why can't you extend the lighting circuit cable to the transformer so you don't have to cut the cable from the transformer to the light?
Provided you have ready access you could use juntion boxes or crimps to extend the lighting circuit cable.

The main lighting circuit is fine - its the length of cable between the spotlight connectors that is too short - the cable comes with 60cm between connectors - i would like them to be a little longer...

The main lighting circuit is fine - its the length of cable between the spotlight connectors that is too short - the cable comes with 60cm between connectors - i would like them to be a little longer...
Can't help you anymore I am afraid. Reading between the lines I think you are saying that the transformer serves more than one light and the maximum length of the cable between the transformer and the lights is 600mm.
That size has presumably been set by manufacturers because of the potential voltage drop and you are therefore stuck with it.
It would have been better to get a set of lights where one transformer serves one light or one light cluster only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back