Back boiler 'At Risk' ventilation problem

Sponsored Links
Thank's to those of you who have taken the time to give useful & helpful replies, it is very much appreciated and consequently i shall have a vent installed into the external wall within next two weeks.

Am i correct in thinking that a 5" core vent is needed (for glow worm majorca)?

The boiler was fitted 30 years ago or more, along with the central heating.. apparently it has always worked fine. It was last serviced two years ago, and i gather it had been infrequently serviced before that.. but nobody had ever mentioned the ventilation issue before which is why my Mother couldn't understand why it is now 'suddenly' unsafe to use.

I gather from the above replies that this due to changing regulations, at least that helps to makes some sense of it, so thanks for that.

Until recently, if the ventilation was below spec, but the appliance worked fine, it was classed as NCS, for which you don't need to label.
Changes in legislation have altered this to AR, unless the deficiency is less than 10%

Mybe because you had someone out to check the appliance for safety.
He tells you rightly its not safe.
And you think the guy is ripping you off for some reason as opposed to possibly saving your mums life/health.

Did i say that the guy was trying to rip anyone off?
Actually no, i didn't.. in fact the inspection did not cost a bean, so he couldn't possibly have anyway.
And i also never suggested that he was wrong in saying it was unsafe, so
whatever it is that's wrong with you i'd thank yout to keep it to yourself if you can't get it sorted.

Sponsored Links
You implied it by saying is there an honest reason.
i very mich doubt unless monkeys have been looking at this boiler that no one has mentioned the ventilation. next question you ask will probably be why has my mams boiler not lasted 50 years has she been ripped off :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oblong. most `engineer`s ` posting here normally do so to `pose` about how much they know, to other `engineers` much to the chagrin of the poster, glean what you can and let them fight it out. ;) Apart from `Agile` and `Do it all`. :LOL:

You implied it by saying is there an honest reason.
i very mich doubt unless monkeys have been looking at this boiler that no one has mentioned the ventilation. next question you ask will probably be why has my mams boiler not lasted 50 years has she been ripped off :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, you're wrong again because my next question is this: How dare you say that, you cheeky b*****d?
If the ventilation had been mentioned before then why the hell would i say that it hadn't, you fool? I've no reason to think my mother is lying about that and you're bang out of order for suggesting that, just who the hell do you think you are?
I came to this forum for advice not stupid abuse from the likes of you
Don't you realise how sad it is that you spend time on here reading peoples posts looking for things to make some stupid issue about?
No doubt if i'd put 'proper' instead of 'honest' then by your way of thinking i'd be implying the guy had somehow been indecent.. there's a word for people like you.
I suppose you were bullied at school were you.. that might help to explain it. Get over it, if you can't get a life then at least get a grip.

I've come across plenty of open flued installations with inadequate or no ventilation. Most have been serviced previously and the operative failed to notice the lack of ventilation. I would call this negligent rather than dishonest.

I've come across a couple of dishonesty where the need for a vent was highlighted and the customer has been charged for it but the vent was screwed to the inside wall but no hole cut.

OBLONG.
You may regard it as stupid issues ,but if thats how you regard your mothers well being so be it ,
Perhaps you should have spent a bit of time and your tight northern brass over the past 30 odd years getting someone out who would have serviced and inspected the heating properly for your mother after all its no secert that gas appliances such as she has should be serviced EVERY year.

I guess the thought of spending money is what has really upset you otherwise job would have been done by now and not sometime in the next 2 weeks .

Life ............ or £25 for avent and half hour labour no choice really.

I don't offhand know the kW of a Majorca but don't expect it would be larger than about 16kW (55,000 Btu/hr). With the fire as well, that would need ventilation equivalent to 80 cm² free area. A suitable core drill vent would be quite draughty, so we're always finding that people bung them up due to that.

One of these
7671.gif

into the floor is usually more acceptable, assuming the air bricks to the underfloor void are correct and clear. You can use a stud/cable finder tool to find the nails in the joists, hence where the joists are, so you can miss them. SImple diy job if you're careful.
It musn't be underneath the fire or behind it.

I'd also recommend a battery or mains powered CO detector with any open flued appliance. (Not the stick on spot variety which changes colour prematurely, or just tells you what you died of)

A stadium 5" core vent will provide 100cm2 free air with the draught reducer removed. This will be ample for your mothers boiler.

Choose a position in the room that hopefully won't cause a draft over her feet ;)

I charge £80 + VAT to supply and fit one of these.

Oblong. most `engineer`s ` posting here normally do so to `pose` about how much they know, to other `engineers` much to the chagrin of the poster, glean what you can and let them fight it out. ;) Apart from `Agile` and `Do it all`. :LOL:

Thanks a lot :eek:. I know what you mean, but take exception to it in my case :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back