Back boiler blowing fuses for house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Baxi Bermuda GF Super Back Boiler. I have plugged this in to get the central heating going again since I turned the central heating off earlier in the summer when it was working fine. When I plug it in if the central heating is switched to off it seems to be ok but when I switch the central heating on the programmer after about a minute all of the electrics in the house go out. I can't think of anything I might have changed since using the central heating earlier in the year and the house doesn't use gas for anything other than the central heating.

Any help would be very much appreciated, lodger has just moved out so trying to keep costs down (great timing!), thank you very much!
I hope I haven't missed any vital information!?

Sponsored Links
have you checked the pump ? thats one of the first common faults i'd check

so trying to keep costs down
Have you had the boiler serviced lately? If not then read this carefully
Many a time I've seen a back boiler block up with soot resulting in the flame seeking air from the room, pouring out the front and burning passing wires on the way.
Don't see that as such a bad thing. It's kind of lucky in a way because it often spares the occupants death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Buy a CO detector and find something else to skimp on.

As above, if the boiler flame is diverted at all, ie, being pulled into the room instead of across the heat exchanger, there are fairly vulnerable components, wires etc which, under normal combustion are perfectly safe but, under these extreme conditions, can be damaged. Your first action is to get the boiler and it's flue checked for safe operation. However, if you have a test meter, with all electrics off, do an earthing check on the integrity of the boiler and the fire front. The electrical feed, to the fire front and it's lights, can be damaged if the casing, fire front etc, are not removed carefully and, with a careful inspection you might find the fault here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the suggestions already! Will buy a CO detector and will get the boiler serviced, first house, only been here a year so still learning all the things I need to do to keep a house running!!

Any more suggestions welcome and thanks again :D

being a back boiler it needs a decent corgi person,tyr your local paper or corgi website for local engineers.
only call british gas if you want a salesman.

Sorry mate but the dig at BG is uncalled for. Some guys go too far with the sales patter, but the majority of guys are only interested in being engineers. Excepting the SFL clots who only do servicing work. Now the stories I could tell about independant subbies...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back