Back boiler not fireing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people. I have problems with my back boiler.
Its a baxi bermuda 57/4m
When i press my central heating button on the wall programmer. The light comes on but not a thing happens. I have a cylinder tank in loft and have tried bleeding all rads and pipes but just water comes out.

Please can any 1 help as i have no hot water or heating and a small child living in the house.
Any help will be very appriciated[/img]

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you will need an engineer.

Do you have an electric immersion heater for the cylinder?

Tony

No i dont think i have. There is a storage tank ontop of the cylinder tank but thats it.

In that case a kettle and fan heater until you can get an engineer!

Dont run the cooker gas rings to heat yourself as that risks carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Everythings electric exept fire and heating!!! Man im sic as a chip. Thanks m8 for your help appriciate it bud

If you have a motorised valve then depending on the type it may be failed and either not moving or the switch has failed and its not sending the call for heat to the boiler.

Sometimes its just the motor inside has failed.

Tony

Where would i find the motorized valve?? Im willing to try anything. Ive tried the airlock routine but no joy!

Thanks

Agile";p="1909201 said:
If you have a motorised valve then depending on the type it may be failed and either not moving or the switch has failed and its not sending the call for heat to the boiler.

Sometimes its just the motor inside has failed.
Agile";p="1909201 said:
Or it could be gas valve /. pilot light / thermocouple / amokngst other things. tony thinks every problem is down to a MOTORISED VALVE". More info needed. Is pilot alight, can you hear a click if you turn the boiler stat up and down (when ON light has been oin for a moment or two), have you motorised valves? are there one or two?

Just had a look at the OP again. Is the FIRE not working either? has the gas meter valve been inadvertently turned off? Is there an isolation switch beside the boiler, these sometimes get accidently switched off by the brats, sorry, pleasantly inquisitive children.

Yes gas fire works. And pilot lights. The thermostat clicks yes.

I have no idea if i have motorized valves

Yes gas fire works. And pilot lights. The thermostat clicks yes.
I have no idea if i have motorized valves

Right if the stat (on the boiler) clicks, then it is likely to be the valve at fault. Turn OFF the heating and try the click again. The click should be louder when heating demand is ON, than when OFF

Ok just did that and click sound the same when calling for heat is on and off!

Stumped.com

Where would the valves be located? I have a blue pump that has a switch on it saying hi speed and lo speed! Is it anywhere near there?

Thanks

My first thought was a boiler failure which means an RGI.

It was an afterthought that I should have mentioned the possibility of a motor valve being faulty and of course thats something any DIYer is allowed to work on.

But I was also aware that the OP does not seem to have any engineering knowledge of heating and there would be less likelyhood of being able to fix a motor valve even if that was the problem.

So I think an engineer is inevitable.

Tony

Where would the valves be located? I have a blue pump that has a switch on it saying hi speed and lo speed! Is it anywhere near there?

Thanks

Follow the pipe FROM the pump towards your hot water cylinder. The valve (if there is one) is likely a small metal or grey plastic box, and should be between the pump and the cylinder . If it is there, are there 2 pipes or 3 into the valve? Is there ANOTHER similar valve. If you can't see the motorised valve now, is there a three way manual valve with a lever.

Yes found it and i have got a friend to help me. He stuck his power conectors on the wires and it turned out to be the timer isnt getting power. His verdict is the programmer timer has burnt out.

I seriously appriciate all ur help and couldnt thank u all enough.

I shall keep posted if a new programmer works.

Again thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back