Back Boiler Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After many years of reliable service my Baxi back boiler is unusable due to the fact that the heat exchanger has gone. I will have to have a new combi fitted.

If I leave the b. boiler in place, with all F and R pipes removed/capped, can I continue to use it just as a gas fire until funds allow me to replace that as well? Are there any other precautions that need to be taken?

Sponsored Links
Yes you could.

Your corgi guy/gal will need to cap gas to BBU and issolate the electric.

He will then perform flue and spillage tests too ascertain all is well.

the compulsory airvents that are open 24/7 combined with the flue will loose more heat than the fire produces.
if you shut off the chimney and block the vents, you will have no need for the fire

i have seen many many BAXI fire fronts used daily to give out a reasonable heat, can't see a vent or flue draught negating 6-7kw input fire, and as fire will be less than 7kw the vent MIGHT be able to be removed, subject to an experienced gas engineers test results

Sponsored Links
dont cap the F & R, leave them open so that water can evaporate freely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back